Help! Can you freeze Baklava? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Help! Can you freeze Baklava?

Last post Nov 15, 2003 9:48 PM by Sstaci . 4 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
  • Help! Can you freeze Baklava?
    I want to make Baklava for Christmas this year and was wondering if it could be made in advance and frozen? If so, how far in advance is safe?

Thanks!
    False
  • RE: Help! Can you freeze Baklava?
    I dont know how long but a local restaurant serves baclava and waitress showed me they get it frozen (already cut) in big sheet pans. I would guess it freezes very well. THe restaurant microwaves it to make you think it is fresh homemade
    False
    Baklava contains very little water, and therefore will freeze with little damage. I'd recommend you under-bake it a little (pull it out before fully browned), cool it fully, wrap in heavy plastic wrap and then in foil.

When your ready to use it, warm it in a 325 degree oven. (I did this with strudel for my wedding--it came out like fresh-baked.)
    False
    If the recipe calls for baking the baclava, then pouring a honey syrup over it (my recipe does), I'd bake it, freeze it, thaw it, then pour the syrup (which I'd probably heat) when I wanted to serve it.
    False
    Thanks for your help!
    I thought it could be frozen, but have never attempted it. I should have, but never thought about the water content, which makes total sense.

I am on vacation the week following Thanksgiving, so I will let you know how it turned out!

False