Soggy Fried Chicken! | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Soggy Fried Chicken!

Last post Nov 25, 2003 10:54 AM by swtpea . 15 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 12
  • Soggy Fried Chicken!
    Generally after I fry a batch of chicken on the stove, I'll put it in the oven for about a half an hour to make sure it's completely done. The only problem is the sides of the chicken pieces that touch the bottom of the baking dish always end up soggy, the crispiness is gone.

Do any of you have any tips on how to keep fried chicken crispy if it's placed in the oven to finish the cooking process? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    False
  • RE: Soggy Fried Chicken!
    Make sure your putting it on a flat pan such as a pizza pan, and you may want to turn it 1/2 way, but the pizza pan should work.
    False
    Aha! You're probably right. I usually put it in a baking dish sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. I think I'll try the pizza pan/cookie sheet next time.

Thanks!
    False
    There are a couple of things I have tried that worked pretty well. Place a cooling rack on a jelly roll pan and lay the chicken pieces on that. Or you can line the bottom of a pan with slices of bread and lay the chicken on that. It will absorb the excess grease and the chicken won't just lay there in it.
    False
    Thanks for all the suggestions :)
    False
    hello there lindav.
    I was very interested to read your ?. I have always had that problem with my fried chicken that I put in the oven to finiish cooking. It is just so frustrating because when I put it in the oven it is almost perfect and when I remove it it is a mess. I have tried the greased baking sheets the dry baking sheets, I have tried cookie racks but it all comes out the same. I will try MissEllie's suggestion of the bread and see how that works.
    Good luck to you and happy thanksgiving.

False
    There's nothing worse than soggy fried chicken! My chicken comes out perfect initially; I don't do anything special to it, I coat it in a simple mixture of flour and salt & pepper. Then I fry it in shortening. I've found my chicken crisps up better and just tastes better using shortening as opposed to oil. More fattening than if you would use canola oil (which I try to use for most other fried things since it's higher in monounsaturated fats than regular vegetable oil) but to me fried chicken has to be done right and the shortening produces fantastic results.

Then I go and put it in the oven to cook it the rest of the way and all of my efforts are completely blown. But I've never been able to make fried chicken just in the frying pan alone and have it come out thoroughly done, which is what I wish I could do so I could avoid having to put it in the oven altogether. My mother was able to do it, darnit! But she's gone now and I can't ask her how. I think, if I remember correctly, she would fry it for the first half hour covered, then take the lid off so it would get crispy. Maybe I'll try it that way next time so I don't have to put it in the oven at all.
    False
    cook it on a rack or pan fry it to get the outside crip and then flip it over during baking and drain the grease if you dont have a rack
    False
    What if you precook the chicken before frying it? that way you won't have to worry about it losing its perfect crust?
    False
    Well, I've thought of that, but I don't know if once the chicken is cooked that the breading and stuff will stick to it properly.

If anyone has tried it this way, I'd be more than happy to hear your results.
    False
    I don't know if this is the answer you are looking for because I don't even start in a frying pan. I oven fry my chicken and it always comes out very crispy. I bread it by dipping it in buttermilk, then in seasoned flour mixed with crushed corn flakes. I place it on a large (so it isn't crowded) shallow baking sheet that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray and drizzle about 3t of olive oil on top. I bake it at 375 for 30 minutes then turn it and continue baking until done, which is usually about 20 to 30 more minutes depending on the size of the pieces. We love it this way and it is always crispy. Hope this helps.
    False
    I made my first few batches of fried chicken by boiling the chicken first. I didn't notice a big difference in the taste of the chicken and the skin came out well. One time I was in a hurry and decided to skip it, and since then I've had no problem with raw chicken, but I usually only cook small pieces like legs and thighs.
    False
    Thanks, everyone, for the tips! I too have done oven-fried chicken. I have a recipe for oven-fried that is absolutely fantastic.

Maybe I should skip the pan altogether and just do it that way from now on.
    False
    I don't understand putting it in the oven to "finish cooking"? I always fry mine until it's done and serve and it's always cooked...this is a new one to me!

I fry mine covered for a while after browning well in Crisco and then remove the cover for the last half hour or so..its crispy and it's done!

~~susie.
    False

Thanks, Susie :)
    False