Strange recipes...Blood sausage, potato sausage, headcheese, gritwurst, etc. | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Strange recipes...Blood sausage, potato sausage, headcheese, gritwurst, etc.

Last post Feb 08, 2012 6:39 PM by kahtoh . 13 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
  • Strange recipes...Blood sausage, potato sausage, headcheese, gritwurst, etc.
    Wow, when I saw the post about Pickled Pigs Feet, it brought back memories of old times !! Does anyone have some recipes for any of the above mentioned, along with pickled pigs feet......
    Another old thing my mother used to do was can chicken and beef in quart jars and it was delicious.....
    Any recipes for those type of things.... Thanks - DeeDeeBird
    False
  • RE: Strange recipes...Blood sausage, potato sausage, headcheese, gritwurst, etc.
    If you type in the search engine blood sausage many replies and recipes will come up. For it's been talked about before.
    False
  • RE: Strange recipes...Blood sausage, potato sausage, headcheese, gritwurst, etc.
    For chicken just cut in pieces, skin ,sprinkle with a little salt or celery salt and maybe add a little sage or thyme. Pack in jars. add broth or water leaving 1 inch head space and process at 15 pounds for 90 minutes for qt.s 60 minutes for pints.

For beef add a little garlic or onion along with some salt and broth or water. process the same way.
    False
    Deedeebird,
    why on earth would anyone want those old recipes except for the fun of reading them.
    Yes, I have all those old recipes except for potato saudage, which was nothing but poor people's way to satisfy a hunger for not much meat during the summer (they had no refrigeration). When butchering time came it was a way to STRETCH the meat and they could eat more, but potato sausage had to be eaten right away because potatoes would sour and spoil the meat in a hurry. Now it is called tradition..........
    Bloodsausage is good if it is made right, WITHOUT fillers, but you cannot find it that way any nore, hwereever you CAN find it, it is mostly very little scarp meat, blood and lots of cereal products.
    Yes I have a very old recipe for head cheese, too. If you are inclied to use it betterbe prepared to get yourself the whole head of a hog, cut out the eyes, cut out the tongue and break out the teeth before putting it into the kettle (NO THANKS,never touched the stuff).
    What you call grits sausage in German is Bremer Pinklewurst and Mecklenburgische Gruetzwurst. Both are nothing but fat and cereal (in obe case barley, in the other oats and just enough blood to color it pink) and a few spices. Middle and upper class people in Europe used to feed tjat to their servants and/or only poor peaple made it.(NOT good for your heart)
    I have translated a recipe for good bloodsausage for a gentleman onthe board and also a recipe for the Bremer Pinkelwurst (some call this type of stuff "Goetta", a bastardized version of the German wprd "Gruetze").
    Yet the original recipes have been so "Americanized" they no longer resemble the old but are more like meatloaf of some ype.
    If you type into the searchbox the words:
    Bloodsausage
    Pinkelwurst
    Goetta (gruetzwurst)
    Scrapple,(the real name is Panhaas)
    you will find lots of info about those things.
    Please, don't ask me to translate the recipe for headcheese.
    Hope this helps.
    Grelo

False
    I typed up a long answer but it did not post, a window said it would be posted later, let's hope so.
    Grelo
    False
    I see my notice posted, so will try again: Enjoynature is right. Type in bloodsausage.
    Also type in : Pinkelwurst. Actually this is "Bremer Pinkelwurst" and it's close cousin: Mecklenburgische Gruetzwurst". Both are the original German names for what you call Gritsausage or, as some call it: Goetta (this last word is a bastardized version of the "Gruetze") but the modern "Goetta" is no longer made the old fashioned way, it has been changed and now is more a meatloaf of some sort,no longer even remotely like the oroginal "sausage".
    All the old ones are is fat, cereal and spices, Pinkelwurst made with barley and Gruetzwurst made with cut oats and enough blood added to tint it light pink. According to old cookbooks from the 1800s it was "poor people's and servant's food"). The same with potato sausage, which originated in Scandinavia. Because people did not have refrigeration, summer and early fall they did not have much meat left from the winter and were meat hungry. In order to stretch the supply and to satisfay an immediate meat hunger, they used potatoes as a filler. It tasted good but was something that did not keep. Potatoes sour fast and spoil so potato sausage was ony eaten at butchering time but was not preserved.
    Someone on the board even thought Goetta was the German version of Scrapple, now that was a stretch of imagination. The rel thing is called
    "Panhaas" in German and was and is still made with coarse gound buckwheat. The first PA Southern German settlers made it with cornmeal (possibly because they did not have buckwheat) andthe name scrapple is half English(scarp) and the le is sort of a dialect thing in southern Germany/Austria where they hang it on many words sort of as an endearemnt, butit is hard to explain.Anyway, they made a new word/name for an old dish.
    I can give you an OLD recipe for headcheese if you want to find a whole hog head, cut out the eyes and tongue (use tongue elsewhere) and break out all the teeth before putting it into a kettle to cook.
    Continued
    False
    Tried another long answer, it did not post either. Just type in:
    Pinkelwurst, Goetta, Scrapple and, as Enjonature says, Blood sausgae. You don't want to really know how to make real headcheese.
    Grelo
    False
    Also Duck soup.
    False
    Poll, please don't remind me of Duck Soup. Back in the late 70s we lived on San Juan Island /WA for a few years and there was a restaurant that fancied itself as gourmet place. The restaurant was named "Duck Soup" and the first time we went there for a nice dinner I found a foot long hair in my soup. Needless to say, that was our first and last visit, and Duck Soup will always remind me of "hairy" soup.
    Grelo
    False
  • Re: RE: Strange recipes...Blood sausage, potato sausage, headcheese, gritwurst, etc.

I've seen it spelled gruetzwurst, but when I google it, a lot of the topics come up in German. I just remember my grandma saying that she boiled up a pigs head with bayleaves salt and pepper, that pig cheeks were "essential" and cooked up buckwheat. Ran it all through a sausage grinder and into the caseings. What I don't remember are the quantities. Unfortunately I was too young to care and now that wonderful recipe is lost. She made the BEST gruetzwust. I am comforted to know I'm not the only one who knows what it is (just my closest relatives remember and miss it) and that people are interested in reviving the recipe.

False
  • Re: RE: Strange recipes...Blood sausage, potato sausage, headcheese, gritwurst, etc.

...you don't want to know how headcheese is really make... Well, I love headcheese, and so does the rest of my large family.  When we were kids, Mom used to make it from a pig's head, but later, when you couldn't  even buy them anymore, she changed to pork hocks.  They are much meatier, and there is no "mystery meat" involved from places you'd rather not know or think about.  My daughter swears she must be the only person under 30 who knows how to make headcheese, or even what it tastes like.  She may be right.

I only used pork hocks as well, and I only use the actual meat.  Mom used everything, and I hated chewing down on something gristly or mushy, or unidentifiable.  I also didn't like how the mixture separated after it had been frozen.  Mom would freeze containers of it when she made it because it doesn't last a long time in the fridge.  It is only good for about three days.  Then a long time ago, I discovered that if you take it out of the freezer, and melt it in the microwave and stir it before refrigerating it until it sets again, it is just as good as fresh made.  Now I can make headcheese and enjoy it months later on my toast in the morning.  What a treat!

False

mitch47
    I only used pork hocks as well, and I only use the actual meat.  Mom used everything, and I hated chewing down on something gristly or mushy, or unidentifiable.  I also didn't like how the mixture separated after it had been frozen. 

Next time you buy hot dogs, liver sausage, bologna and other "lunchmeats", read the label:

You will find  nice delicacies listed, such as: udders, lips, snouts,and other "by-products".

The preceding is the reason I have not bought anything like that in many, many years. My famly never served  headcheese or "Schwartemagen", Anything you could see skin with hair roots in it would have never been put on the table. We made "Suelze" (souse), an aspic with lean veal and pork in it.

I make Panhas (scrapple) and can it. Pork shoulders roasts on sale are nice to make it with. Cook them til done, take meat out and trim off most of the fat.Let broth cool and skim off fat, then re-heat and boil coarse ground (like cracked wheat) buckwheat groats til done. Let cool while I running  the meat through the grinder, then mix everything togther and add the rest of the seasoning. I fry a few patties but the rest I can in wide mouth jars.

Saw some commercial "scarpple" on the web, looked like corn meal mush  with a few little pieces of meat scaps n it . My Panhas is just about half meat, half buckwheat and looks very much like meat loaf. I realize that they did not put as much meat into it way back when but if pork is cheap enough why not? It's still stertching the meat( maiing it half and half). I also eat millet as a side dish and like cooked whole buckwheat groats as a hot cereal, it's very good with milk, a little brown sugar and cinnamon o it ,  the same goes for brown Basmati or brown Jasmine rice.

False

Oh my, my parents and I were just discussing these recipes yesterday!   My dad told of how they would butcher a duck or goose and get the blood for the soup..and my mom said it had raisens and other sweet things in it. I went yuck, but they were smiling over the memories! 

Then they discussed whose parents made the best heahcheese, not too much fat!!

We camp near a POLISH gas station, restaurant and grocery complex.   I often bring home the Polish canned goods for them...and we recently had lunch and pierogis there.  YUM!

False

Grelo;

Do you know what the spices for Bremer Pinkelwurst might be? AQuf Duetsch ist ok oder Englisch.

Thanks,

Kahtoh

False