what do you put on top of your ham before baking? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

what do you put on top of your ham before baking?

Last post Jan 27, 2006 3:05 PM by MandiB . 7 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
  • what do you put on top of your ham before baking?
    Would appreciate hearing what you like to use! Thanks in advance!
    False
  • RE: what do you put on top of your ham before baking?
    I bake my ham for 1/2 the time needed, remove from oven & score it & then spread with a paste made of brown sugar & regular yellow mustard. Return to oven & finish baking. I just eyeball the ingredients, starting with about a cup of brown sugar & stir in a couple tablespoons of mustard, you want it thick & paste-like to stick to the hot ham. It makes a yummy glaze!

Cali
    False
    I do about the same as Cali but I put pineapple rings on mine also. I have used 7-up to bake my ham with and that gives a nice flavor.
    False

Got this idea from Resa in the Backyard. She suggested marmalade, it was delicious.
    False
    My Glaze is about the same, brown sugar, mustard and ginger ale.
    False
    I use brown sugar, pineapple juice, and cloves and then baste every 20 to 30 minutes. Coke is also good to use on ham.
    False
    I use my great grandmother's plum sauce, which has whole cooked plums in it. I put some plums in the scored parts of ham skin then spoon sauce over the rest. Cover with foil & bake. For years I have gotten so many compliments on my ham this way.
    False
    My mother-in-law uses cloves and pineapple rings. She takes the drippings and makes a pineapple gravy for mashed potatoes. It's absolutely wonderful!
    False