Egg Custard (watery) | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Egg Custard (watery)

Last post Jan 22, 2006 2:29 PM by Clemantine_AL . 6 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
  • Egg Custard (watery)
    From time to time I bake an old fashoned egg custard from a recipe that belonged to my Grandmother. It is just a basic custard with eggs, milk, sugar, and baked in a pie crust. Occasionally it is watery (doesn't hurt the taste, but is unappealing). I was wondering if any of you good cooks could tell me why this happens, and what I could do to prevent it. Many thanks in advance...Gail
    False
  • RE: Egg Custard (watery)
    Silly thought, Gail, but what kind of milk do you use? A friend of mine had an old family recipe for scalloped potatoes. Recipe called for "milk"...she used the 1% she had on hand. Same results as yours...still tasty, but watery. I suggested that her Mom probably used whole milk when making the recipe 40+ yrs ago. Sure enough, it worked much better the next time with the whole milk.
    Another thought is cut down the baking time a bit. Sometimes overbaking causes the "watery" look.

:)
    False
    Thanks Sparty! I do use, what we call whole milk, but you have a point. The "whole" milk we use is NOT the same. I will back off a little on the baking time. Thanks again! Gail
    False
    U R Welcome, Gail!!
    :)
    False
    if the milk is the problem, you could try using half-and-half. . .
    False
    Like so many things in life, I learned the "secret" to the perfect custard by mistake. I was in a hurry one day and barely mixed the eggs, sugar and nutmeg. Perfect. I found out later, taling to an "older woman" that it's the beating that causes eggs to water. So the key to a velvet textured, non-watery custard is only stir the entire mixture (not eggs alone first) and then just enough to mix the yolks.
    False
    I bake egg custards a lot as they are my husbands favorite dessert. I've found out that overbaking will make it watery every time. I know the key is to remove from oven while still shakey in the middle, but sometimes it's hard to judge just the right time to take it out
    False