Need help with my nut rolls!!! | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Need help with my nut rolls!!!

Last post Apr 18, 2006 8:59 PM by derica . 13 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
  • Need help with my nut rolls!!!
    I am attempting to make my grandma's nut rolls for the first time, but I am having some problems. Unfortunately, she is no longer here to ask for advice. They taste as good as hers, but they do not look very nice. They are splitting open and the filling is running out. Also, they seem to sink in after cooling. It must be something I am doing wrong with the dough. Alot of her baking she did from memory, so although I have the recipe, I'm sure they are some hints or techniques she used that she did not write down. Do any of you more experienced bakers have any suggestions for me? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!! I am so very frustrated. Thanks so much!!
    False
  • RE: Need help with my nut rolls!!!
    If you are willing to share the recipe, I'd be happy to try to help. It's hard to tell what the problem might be without seeing it.
    False
    Here's the recipe:

6 cups flour
    2 sticks butter, melted

3/4 cup sugar
    1/2 cup milk, warmed
    3 packages (1/4 oz.) active dry yeast

1/2 pint sour cream
    4 egg yolks
    1 tsp vanilla

Add melted butter to flour and blend.

Warm the milk, add yeast and sugar and dissolve. Add this mixture to the flour mixture.

Then add the remaining ingredients and mix.

That's all I have as far as directions. I let the dough knead with the bread hook in a kitchen aid mixer until it doesn't stick to the sides of the bowl. I have also tried kneading it by hand, because I know my gram didn't have a stand mixer. I still get the same results.

My mother recalls that my gram let the dough rise in the fridge. I have tried that -- get the same results as if I don't.

I have also let the rolls sit awhile before I put them in the oven, that also seems to not solve my problems.

I don't know what I am doing wrong. It must be something I am doing or not doing with the dough.

Thanks so much for trying to help!! I am anxious to see what you think.
    False
    It looks to me like you have way too much yeast. I make lots of yeast breads and rolls, and I can't think of a single recipe that calls for 3 packages of yeast. I suspect what's happening is that all that yeast is causing the dough to rise too much; it's stretching the gluten beyond its limits, so it's breaking down.

Try using 2 packages. That should be more than enough for 6 cups of flour. You might even have to drop down to a single package. Try it with 2. Make sure the yeast is fresh, and that the milk is at the temperature the package of yeast calls for.

Please let me know how it turns out!
    False
    Thank you for the advice!!

Hopefully I will try baking them again over the weekend. I will let you know!!!

Easter is coming and I really wanted to have them (looking as good as they taste!) for the holiday!!
    False
    Why are they called nut rolls? It seems the recipe does not call for nuts or a filling with nuts?
    Just curious.
    Grelo
    False
    Your nut roll problem may not be with the recipe or how you're handling it. Although using an eggwash on the top of the roll helps keep it from cracking and makes it shiny. The problem may be your oven. You need to check the temperature - it might be hotter than your dial says it is and that will crack and bleed your ingredients.
    False
    Thank you CCLady!! - My mom and I tried your suggestion and made the dough with only two packs of yeast. None of the rolls cracked on the top.
    Wow, I can't believe it!! You have no idea how many things we tried to prevent that. Thanks so much!!

But now we have another problem, they are splitting along the sides and the nut filling is running out everywhere.
    And they seem to sink in as they cool.

I am open to any thoughts or suggestions.

I also just read the post about the oven temperature. I never even gave that a thought. I will check in to it!! Thank you!

I knew I would find some great advice from those of you who have alot more experience in this department!! I will keep trying your suggestions.

I am determined to bake a great nut roll, no matter how frustrating it seems at times.

Thanks again, and please keep the advice coming!!

False
    Grelo, there is a nut filling that you make and spread over the dough after it is rolled out into a rectangle shape. After the filling is spread, you roll the dough up llke a jellyroll.

I am having prolems with the dough, so I didn't think to write down the recipe for the filling. Sorry!
    False
    First, I'd try going down to one pack of yeast. I checked some of my recipes, and they all call for 1 pack of yeast to 5 cups of flour. Since you're still having problems, that could help.

If the filling is running out, that could be contributing to the sinking.

Try rolling the dough a little thicker. Also, after you roll the filling up in the dough, moisten the edge with a little bit of egg white (albumin is nature's most perfect glue!), pinch it down, and put the roll on the pan seam side down.
    False
    My mom and I just baked two batches of nut rolls yesterday. I am happy to say that none of them ( a total of 12) split, cracked or leaked at all!!!
    We are jumping for joy!!!

We checked our oven temps and it turns out they were right on target. So we thought that we would try baking them at 325 instead of 350. We had nothing to lose.

We also decreased the yeast from 3 packs to just 2. The recipe originally called for 6 cups of flour, but in our many attempts we found that the dough turned out better with about 7 to 7 1/2 cups of flour.

Now our nut rolls taste and look just as good as grandma's did -- and just in time for Easter!

My hats off and many, many, many thanks to CCLady and runelady!!!! You have no idea how long we have been trying to fix these problems!!!

I hope you both have a happy and blessed Easter!!

Thanks again!!!!
    False
    Well, you knew you kept me around for a reason!

Happy Easter!
    False
    The nut filling must be a secret.
    Grelo
    False
    Grelo, I have a similar recipe for nut rolls. They taste quite like kolachi, but with a smoother, nicer taste. If you are interested in the recipe, you can email me at asymonds at aol dotcom, since the recipe is kinda long. It is close to this recipe, but it does not have any sour cream in it. The filling is:
    6 cups ground walnuts
    2 cups milk
    2 cups sugar
    1 1/2 tsp. vanilla

Mix together, bring to a slow boil, stirring frequently. Let cool before spreading on dough.
    False