Cooking Frozen Casseroles | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Cooking Frozen Casseroles

Last post Oct 20, 2007 7:22 AM by margeslp . 7 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
  • Cooking Frozen Casseroles
    Do I have to thaw the casserole before baking or can I just put it in the oven from the freezer. If I can take it directly from the freezer and put it in the oven, should I change the temperature and cooking times? How much? Thanks to anyone who can help.
    False
  • RE: Cooking Frozen Casseroles
    I usually take them out the night before and let them thaw in the fridge. Even with doing that, I up the cooking time a little.

A lot of the times I'll start it covered on a low heat in the oven, then after about 15 minutes or so, I turn the heat up to what the recipe says and cook as directed.
    False
    It would depend on how much time you have... If you want to take it from freezer to oven without thawing it, I'd recommend baking it at about 250, covered for a couple hours, and then upping the temperature to 350 (or whatever the recipe calls for) for a bit, and then uncovering it. Time's would depend on the size of the casserole, too. It might be something you have to experiment with, but it should work fine to go from freezer to oven - it'd just take longer. CandyKisses - Oklahoma's suggestion sounds good, too.
    False
    Check out my blog, www.mycountrycupboard.blogspot.com to see how I do it!
    Thanks candykisses and mayhersh for your help. I will experiment with all your suggestions to find which method fits in with my cooking style and time schedule. ~:)
    False
    I just bake casseroles frozen. At the temp suggested in the recipe. Leave covered until they're defrosted, then uncover, add the topping (bread crumbs, cheese, whatever) and continue to bake until hot, bubbly and browned.

It is going to take a little longer to bake a frozen casserole, but it's always a little safer to bring a food up to eating temperature as quickly as possible.

Alternatively, you could microwave the frozen casserole to defrost it, while you preheat your oven. That way you don't really lose any time, and the food isn' lingering in the danger temperature zone too long.
    False
    I broke a pyrex dish putting it in the oven cold. I even had let it sit out at room temperature for a half hour.It was a frozen casserole. So beware.
    False
    When cooking cold or frozen items, put it in a cold oven so the oven and dish comes up to temperature slowly.
    False
    I do the same thing flourmaid does - have cracked nice pottery putting in a hot oven. I also cracked a crockpot ceramic liner by rendering fat in the oven on a high temp and adding frozen stock.
    False