Microwave potato bag | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Microwave potato bag

Last post Oct 04, 2007 11:45 PM by gr_elo . 7 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
  • Microwave potato bag
    Need instructions for the Microwave Potato Bag. The hospital I volunteer for is having fund raiser and I would like to make some to sell. If any of you have the instructions would appreciate it more than you know. Know that they have two pieces but don't know if there is a light batting inbetween or not. MPE
    False
  • RE: Microwave potato bag
    Yes, there is a batting between the two pieces. My friend makes those as gifts for Christmas. ALL material, incl the batting, HAS TO BE 100% COTTON,incl. the thread, anything else will melt.
    My friend makes round ones, that way the openeing can be smaller and it fits better onto the microwave turntable. Still holds 4 poatatoes, each potato wrappped in a paper towel.
    In a pinch, one can always used th bag(s) as oven mitts.
    She will be letting me test the first one when she comes to town on
    Wednnasday.
    Go to a quilting shop and try for cotton batteing or use a 100% worn terry towel as "batting". My friend baught several 100% cotton terry bathrobes at out thriftshop for 50 cents each, washed them and took the apart to use a s batting. She is using unbleached muslin inside and pretty print cotton on the outside.
    Grelo
    False
    PS. If you can find hbeavy cotton terry, you may only need that and the pretty print outside.
    I don't have instrauctions and you really don't need any. Just make sure you either zig-zag the inside seams or bind them them on the outside with wide cotton bias tape for an added touch.
    Lay 4 large potatoes down like a diamond, one on top, two next row, then one on bottom, leave 1" pf space between them. the drw a circle around them, allow for sems and there you have it. Or Make tham square but I would prefer the round for on turntables.
    Grelo
    False
    I found some directions but they are square. I like grelo's idea of making them round. Makes sense!

Sue

From Hancock Fabrics holiday magazine, there was a pattern for a microwave baked potato bag. Here are the instructions:
    1/3 yd cotton fabric
    1/3 yd cotton batting
    cotton thread
    marking pencil
    Optional:
    1/8 yd of 3 X 5 " piece quilter's shades fabric color: buckskin (potato applique)
    1/8 ys steam-a-seam
    1 spool brown rayon thread

Cut:
    11 X 23" piece of fabric (bag)
    10 X 22" piece of fabric (lining)
    11 X 23" piece cotton batting
    Optional applique: shape of potato

Allow 3/8 seam allowance
    Place cotton batting on wrong side of bag piece. Channel quilt 1" apart lengthwise on piece.
    Fuse applique on front and satin stitch around edge of applique. Satin stitch 6 - 7 "eyes" on potato
    Trim quilted piece to measure 10 X 22"
    Right sides together (RST) stitch bag to lining around all sides, leaving a 5" opening on one long edge. Trim corners. Turn. Press and slip stitch opening.
    RST fold top edge down 2" onton bag back. Fold front of bag so seamed edge matches top fold. Stitch each side. Press crease at bottom

To make box bottom: RST bring side seam and bottom crease line together. Pin to secure. Measure 1" along seam line from end point of seam and mark this point. Draw a line perpendicular to seam line a marked point. Stitch on line, through all thicknesses. Repeat for opposite corner. Turn right side out, turning flap to outside.

To use: Wash and dry potatoes. Wrap potatoes in paper towel. DO NOT PIERCE SKIN! Place potatoes in bag and microwave as susual until done. To serve: Remove from pouch, pierce skin with fork. Let bag air dry.

Holds up to 4 potatoes

I hope this is what you were looking for! Good luck.
    False
    BUMP
    False
    I've made the potato bags....we don't particularly like the potatoes baked this way but I do like the bag for freshening bread/rolls or defrosting them. Also, I ocassionally buy the frozen bread dumplings & putting the frozen slices in the bag & microwaving them works great...they're hot, steamy & still soft...not at all dried out.
    False
    Hummm. I've gotta make one of these.
    Thanks gavinfrma for the pattern.
    False
    Have to come back to this. My friend made one that is taller. She made two circles and then used a strip of material to sew those circles together. Looks like a low round box with an openeing.
    Can be used for poatoes, rolls and also to warm a stack of tortillas. It is about 1" tall, 9" in diameter.
    The openeing is 6 1/2 wide but I think 6" would have been enough.
    I tried it and it works better for lg potatoes and also big rolls because it is hugher.
    Just picture a 1" tall round candy box of above dimension and that is what this one looks like. A litle more owrk but at a sale also worth more because it is more versatile.
    And the terry robes worked out beutifully, no lining necessary because they were heavy terry (easy to wash, the outside was calico cotton. She sewed this opne right side out and bound the seams in contrating cotton bias tape, so no inside seams to worry about.
    You can find cotton bias tape in thrit shops. When old seamstresses pass away theur stash is usually donated to a rhrift store and you can pick it up for pennies. Same with cotton thread and many other supplies. I wish I could see better, I would even try to make some as gifts and I am not a seamstress. It really is not difficult.
    False