baked chicken is chewy | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

baked chicken is chewy

Last post Oct 22, 2006 2:29 AM by cooking71 . 5 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
  • baked chicken is chewy
    I am having a terrible time baking chicken breasts. If I bake them uncovered the meat is stringy and chewy. It doesn't happen every time though. I don't know if I am over cooking or if it is the bird. It happens often enough that I think I'm the problem, but I don't know the solution. Can anyone help?
    False
  • RE: baked chicken is chewy
    Overbaking will definately dry out chicken, espescially boneless skinless breast. Try keeping it covered and watch it closely. Usually the cook times I've seen are too long, so set it for 10 min. less and check it then every few minutes after that.
    False
    Try searing your chicken breasts in a skillet before baking them. Then bake them, covered, at 325 for about an hour or until meat comes to temperature. You won't be disappointed. This makes for some tender and juicy breast.
    False

I don't often get asked to define irony, but when I do, I always say,

"Why, yes.  Yes, I AM a Field Editor for Taste of Home."

Try searing your chicken breasts in a skillet before baking them. Then bake them, covered, at 325 for about an hour or until meat comes to temperature. You won't be disappointed. This makes for some tender and juicy breast.
    False

I don't often get asked to define irony, but when I do, I always say,

"Why, yes.  Yes, I AM a Field Editor for Taste of Home."

IMO Chicken breasts are the worst thing to try to bake by itself. They are so low in fat they get overdone very quickly, hence the chewiness.

Brown first and then bake. Add some chicken broth and herbs to the pan. Cover with foil and bake. You can also toss a bunch into the crockpot with broth and they come out very good.
    False