Why won't my chocolate melt? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Why won't my chocolate melt?

Last post Nov 04, 2006 8:53 PM by tawney112 . 5 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
  • Why won't my chocolate melt?
    This has never happened to me before. I tried melting some chocolate chips & some butterscotch chips in the microwave for a drop cookie recipe that I've made 100's of times before, and the chocolate got hard, instead of melting. It did start to melt on the first 30 second interval, but hardened after the next two. I only heated it for a total of 90 seconds, so what gives? Does anyone know if I can salvage this chocolate by adding something to get it to melt? If I can't figure something out soon, I know I'm going to sit and eat it all!! LOL

Sandy
    False
  • RE: Why won't my chocolate melt?
    It sounds like they got too hot. Did you get a new microwave? Different brands of chips will also melt differently depending on the cocoa content. You can add some marg. to them and stir it in as they melt. Hope this helps.
    False
    You require patience. Until I learned the technique I burned a lot of chocolate chips.

Nuke at half power for 30 seconds, then stir. repeat and keep on repeating until you get results,

You made my original mistakes by too much power for too long and not stirring.

I learned the secret in a microwave recipe for chocolate fudge. Workd like a charm and does not take as long as you would think.

Most people. me included, have thought that, when heated, chocolate chips will melt right down into a puddle. They don't. They hold their shape unless and until stirred. This from a Hershey's cookbook,
    False
    I don't own a microwave so I found an easier and safer way to melt chocolate. Since I have to use the oven anyways, I put the chocolate in a metal or glass container and place on top of the oven. As the oven gets hot, the top of my stove does also and melts the chips. No seizing up in the microwave like happened to you and no using a double broiler.
    False
    Should have also said that the Hersheys book also stated under no circumstances allow water, steam, etc to contact chocolate being melted or it will sieze up and have to be tossed.
    False
    Sounds like it 'seized' (the official term for chocolate that has come in contact with water). I think if you add a bit of oil (not milk, which is what I tried and it failed miserably) and it may smooth out for you.
    False