canning beef stew | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

canning beef stew

Last post Mar 29, 2004 9:48 AM by jenbon . 9 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
  • canning beef stew
    i would like to can my own stew. i don't really know how to do it or if it would even work. if you know how please let me know.
    False
  • RE: canning beef stew
    Beef Stew

4-5 lbs. beef stew meat
    8 cups sliced carrots
    3 cups chopped celery
    3 quarts cubed, pared pototoes (about 12 med.)
    1½ tbsp. salt
    1 tsp. thyme
    ½ tsp. pepper

Cut meat into 1½ inch cubes; brown in a small amount of fat. Combine meat, vegetables and seasonings; cover with boiling water. Pack into hot jars, leaving 1-inch head space. Remove air bubbles. Adjust caps. Process. Yield approx. 7 quarts
    Note: Vegetables do not need to be precooked.

Process: pints 1 hour and 15 minutes, quarts 1 hour and 30 minutes, at 10 pounds pressure. If canning in an area over 2,000 feet above sea level, process at 15 pounds of pressure no matter what the recipe calls for, and for the time specified.
    If canning your own do not thicken gravy with flour as this makes sterilization difficult.

Nancy ♥
    False
    Hi! there are thickeners made specifially for canning, or you can simply thicken before serving (you're going to heat it anyway).
    False
    Since canning guidelines have changed, I would be leery about using anyone's homestyle recipe. Without lab testing to determine the ph values on the ingredients used there is no way to determine the correct PSI setting and the proper processing times for food safety.

Check out the recently published canning books at your library, or better yet go to the county/state or university extention office for up to date recipe instructions. These are available free or at very low cost, plus you can get lots of person to person advice. Even if there is not a local office near you go online and you will find every state university offers extension services with food preserving information.
    False

"Wit is educated insolence." Aristotle

The recipe I posted was out of my All American pressure canner book which is last years, it's the same one that is in the 2003 Ball Blue Book of preserving. Nancy
    False
    I too would be very nervous about canning any foods that are not acidic because of the fear of botulism. I know that most commercial meat stews add nitrates for this very reason.
    I read somewhere that now even canned tomatoes could be a problem, because the new hybrid tomatoes are less acidic than old standards. So the recipes that were used in the past had to be adjusted.
    I would definitely call the local agriculture extension office. It's better to be safe than really ill. These people are very conservative, and if they say OK, you are safe.
    False
    All canning recipes I post follow the current USDA guidelines. I also recommend anyone really interested in canning get current canning books, they explain correct procedures, what botulism is, what foods need to pressure canned and what foods can be waterbathed. They also have alot of recipes.
    False
    I do mine in 2 parts. Browned beef chunks and onion with beef broth in one jar. The vegetables + more onion in beef broth an a second Jar. The jars (pints) with the beef go 1 hr 15 minutes at 10 lb pressure. The vegies go 30 minutes at 10 pounda pressure. I don't use potatoes in the stew because we prefer it over mashed potatoes.
    False
    Nancy's recipe is very safe! I've been canning meat for a long time and as long as the correct pressure and the time guidelines are followed, you won't have any problem.
    False
    My mom and grandma have done this for years. It is perfectly safe and so so good. I wish I had room to store stuff like that.
    False