Freezing cabbage before making stuffed cabbage??? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Freezing cabbage before making stuffed cabbage???

Last post Oct 23, 2013 12:31 AM by davidjackson . 26 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 12
  • Freezing cabbage before making stuffed cabbage???
    Hi,
    Have you ever heard of or tried freezing the cabbage instead of cooking it to make stuffed cabbage rolls? A friend just told me that two days before she makes stuffed cabbage she wraps a whole cabbage in plastic wrap and freezes it. Then the night before she is going to make the stuffed cabbage rolls, she takes it out of the freezer and places it in a colander in the sink over night. She said that in the morning, it is perfect for filling and rolling the cabbage rolls. Sure sounds easier than boiling or microwaving the cabbage. Has anyone tried it ?
    False
  • RE: Freezing cabbage before making stuffed cabbage???
    I have not tried this but have a recipe that says 12 to 24 hours befor making rolls, place cabbage in freezer. Remove from freezer no more than 1 hour before making rolls. Hope this helps, TLT
    False
    Sorry, also says allow to thaw for 1 hour. TLT
    False
    Hi! I have been freezing my cabbage for cabbage rolls for over 15 years. A woman I worked with at a nursing home told me to try it. So, I froze my cabbage and when I decided to make my rolls, I took the cabbage out of the freezer the day before so that it could thaw out. After it thawed the leaves came off and rolled so nice I could not believe it. Ever since then I keep frozen cabbage in my freeze just for that purpose. Try it. You won't go back to boiling water again.
    False
    Had never heard of this....sounds great, don't make very often because it is so hard to get the leaves from separted in pot

Thank You
    Diana
    False
    I freeze mine also! My Grandma taught me to do this. Just remember to wrap your cabbage well before putting it in the freezer, I double bag mine in the plastic grocery bags. Then take it out the night before you want to make your rolls and put it in your kitchen sink to thaw. So much easier than burning yourself with the boiling water!

Lea
    False
    What a great hint!! Cabbage rolls are one of my families favorite foods. Next time I will try freezing the cabbage, sounds a lot easier than steaming the leaves off. Plus, having a cabbage in the freezer would be convenient!
    False
    Makes sense to me. Next head of cabbage I buy is going straight to freezer. Something always happens on the day I plan to do stuffed cabage rolls, and Then The cabbage sits and gets forgotten. With out having to fool with the boiling water I will probably fix them more often.
    False
    I tried this last week. What a great idea. Will never do it any other way again.
    False
    I had never made stuffed cabbages, but heard this tip (part of it at least), and tried it. Froze 50 pounds (yes, you read right!) of cabbage, then had a group of ladies join me in the church kitchen Saturday morning to make cabbage rolls--I didn't hear the part about thawing it out 24 hours ahead! We spent HOURS trying to get that *#&@^@!& stuff apart! Made about 250 cabbages, though! LOL
    btb
    False
    I tried this. The cabbage leaves peel off the head so much easier. But my cabbage rolls when cooked end up rubbery. What am I doing wrong?
    False
    'A true friend is someone who knows you're a good egg even if you're a little cracked.'
    My Sister-In-Law makes wonderful cabbage rolls. Altho, she has always blanched the head of cabbage to seperate the leaves. After reading all this I will surely tell her of how you ladies are doing this. It sounds very easy & she won't have to handle the hot leaves to roll them. Thanks again for the wonderful tip!!
    False
    hi lady finger:
    i am ukrainian and for as long as i can remember my mom and baba would freeze the cabbage .. i make sure my cabbage is frozen for a min of 3 full days before i use it. i find it makes rolling a lot nicer. i also season and cook my hamburger , onion , celery , and rice before i roll and then individually freeze my batches on cookie sheets. i also find an egg work as glue to keep it all together.
    my question is?? any suggestions on what to do with left over cabbage.? i hope you have a recipe! anitamcd
    False
    lady finger:
    i just throw my cabbage into a sink of cold water before i go to bed and in the morning . presto!! it sure dont take long to make uo 90 cabbage rolls.. i find i like 50% rice 50% hambuger. but to each there own. i cook my cabbage rolls at 325 for 4 hour sometimes longer. my favorite is tomatoe soup with mince garlic and v8 juice . nummy anitamcd
    False
    OK You have me excited about cabbage rolls. Now how about a recipe?
    False