What makes a coconut pie watery? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

What makes a coconut pie watery?

Last post Apr 30, 2004 7:47 PM by cjnaspensmom_UT . 14 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
  • What makes a coconut pie watery?
    I recently made my first Coconut Cream Pie using a recipe from a recent issue of Tase of Home. It was beautiful!! But there was a lot of liquid that made it "runny". It had a great flavor but the crust became soggy right from the start. What did I do (or not do) that could have prevented this???
    False
  • RE: What makes a coconut pie watery?
    Can you post the recipe so we could possibly see what went wrong?
    False
    The recipe is at home...will post it in the morning...thanks for trying to help!
    False
    I used a recipe from the June/July 2002 issue for Coconut Cream Meringue Pie.
    2/3 cup sugar
    1/4 cup cornstarch
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    2 cups milk
    3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
    1 cup flaked coconut, finely chopped
    2 tablespoons butter or margarine (I used margarine)
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
    Meringue:
    3 egg whites
    1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
    6 tablespoons sugar
    1 baked pastry shell
    1/2 cup flaked coconut
    False
    I read that overbaking can cause a watery pie. I wish I could help you more but the recipe looks pretty standard. You pre-baked the crust, correct?
    False
    I prebaked the crust..and did bake just the minimum time in the recipe to brown the meringue. I did think of something this morning....I have had my cornstarch for quite a while...could it be that it wasn't fresh enough??
    Thank you so much for your input!
    False
    k, I've used cornstarch that I've had for years, and never had a problem with it. I'll think about this one, because, as Nycangeleyes says, the recipe looks pretty standard.

How long did you cook the filling? Did you use regular margarine or "lite" or "diet" margarine? If it wasn't the regular, that might be the problem. . .the lite, and whipped and so on usually have a much higher water content. . .
    False
    The recipe said to bring to a boil, cook and stir 2 minutes or till thickened..then you add the egg yolks, bring to a gentle boil, & cook another 2 minutes. The filling seemed thick...but it was the first one I had made.
    Also, I used regular Parkay..but you don't add it until after cooking the filling.
    Maybe I just need to try again..see what happens!
    False
    Could it have been the meringe which was weeping? I've heard that if you start with very cold egg whites before beating them, they weep less.

Then put the very cold meringue on the very hot pie filling and immediately into a 425 oven for 10-12 minutes.
    False
    The only other thing I can think of that hasn't been mentioned is the milk. Did you use skim, 2% or whole milk? If it was skim...maybe that isn't "heavy" enough? Just a thought. Anyway.....weepy or not I *love* coconut cream pie! It's probably my favorite besides rhubarb custard!

Chef
    False
    Photobucket
    Like chef said if the lesser amount of fat in the milk may have been some of the problem. When I make coconut pie I use part milk, part heavy cream and part coconut milk. I have had no problem with mine.
    Maybe try agaiin and see what happens.
    False
    Thanks to all of you for the help!! I did use 2% milk...never even thought about it!! I will try again and see how it comes out!!
    It is really nice to have great cooks out there who are so willing to help! I have never been a natural at cooking..but I do enjoy trying..and when my pie looked so pretty, and tasted good, but was more like a runny pudding, it nearly drove me nuts!! Thanks again!
    k
    False
    I have found that if you use more sugar in icing than called for will make pie runny,after pie sets awhile.
    pineyflatslady
    False
    I could think of a couple of things. The filling has to come to a real complete boil to get the full thickening capability of the cornstarch. Don't worry about the 2 minute timing of it. Let it really bubble and especially the second time after the eggs are added. Also, if you let the pie cool, added the meringue and baked it again, the second round of heat can break down cornstarch's thickening powers. Or the meringue could have gotten watery, making the crust soggy. Don't give up! That's a great recipe.
    False
    Alton Brown had a show on a few weeks ago on Lemon meringue pie. If you go to the Foodnetwork website and look it up it may have some hints. He talked about how to keep the water out the pie. Good luck!
    False