Maryland Steamed Shrimp | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Maryland Steamed Shrimp

Last post Jan 23, 2011 9:56 PM by shellf0969 . 5 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
  • Maryland Steamed Shrimp
    HELP PLEASE!!!

My family and I took a trip to Ocean City Maryland this summer and we had some steamed shrimp that knocked our socks off. I would love to try it at home, none of the restaurants here in Connecticut have anything close to it.
    Do any of you great women out there know how it is done? The only thing I know about them is what I saw on the plate, they were steamed with the shell on and there was some kind of seasoning sprinkled over them. Totally Yummy!!

Thanks!!
    False
  • RE: Maryland Steamed Shrimp
    I'm going to bet that the shrimp you saw were boiled and had Old Bay sprinkled on the top. At least that's the way we have always fixed them. Boil some water, liberally pour in some Old Bay Seasoning. Dump in your shrimp (shell and all), boil for just a few minutes until the shrimp turn pink. Remove from the water and sprinkle with Old Bay. This is without a douby my favorite dish! Hope this helps.
    False
    We do not boil shrimp (or crabs) in MD. You can use a steamer type basket if you wish, but I don't; I just stand here sort of shaking them pot until they're done.

Steamed Shrimp

Raw shell on shrimp
    Big splash of vinegar
    If you happen to have a beer open - a big splash of beer
    Old Bay
    Optional - crushed red pepper flakes

Put shrimp in the pot, add liquid, sprinkle liberally with Old Bay and, if using, crushed red pepper flakes. Cook on high heat, sort of bouncing the shrimp around in the pot until all have turned deep pink. This literally takes only a few minutes. If you use one of those steam baskets you probably need a bit more liquid.

Cocktail Sauce

Catsup
    Squeeze of fresh lemon juice
    Fresh horseradish to taste
    Again - perhaps a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes.
    False
    Thank you so much for responding. I can't wait to try them at home.
    False
  • Re: Maryland Steamed Shrimp

In Maryland shrimp and crabs are NEVER boiled. Boiled crabs are totally tasteless, except for the flavor of any seasonings put on them afterward. Boiled shrimp come out like rubber bands.

Put vinegar and/or beer in the bottom of a steamer, shrimp in the basket ABOVE the liquid. Cover the shrimp with a generous coat of Old Bay. Cover the steamer and start a hot fire under it till steam starts. Lower the heat but keep the steam going. Give it about five minutes, then check the color of the shrimp. When red they are done. Bon apetit.

False
  • Re: Maryland Steamed Shrimp

Hi,

I came across your post. I wanted to send you my recipe for my steamed shrimp. I make it a lot. My kids eat it. If I have left over shrimp. I peel them and add them to cooked elbow noodles, add celery, onion, Mayonaise, Celery seed, Pepper, Dill and Old Bay. Add to your taste. 

My recipe is simple. 

Directions for Rice Cooker, ( i have a cheap rice cooker from Wal-Mart)
    In the Pan, Pour the Can of Beer. I buy Non alcoholic beer from the grocery store.
    Put the steam basket over top and place shrimp in the basket.
    Place Shrimp in single layers.
    Add onion. 1/3 cup medium sliced. (or to your liking)

Add 1/3 cup Old bay Seasoning. (or to your taste) Gently stir to coat Shrimp.
    Cover and steam till Shrimp are pink.
    Add the remaining Shrimp and repeat.

(same below)

Stove top Steam Shrimp.
    Add Beer to sauce pan.
    Put steamer in the pan.
    Add Shrimp in single layer,
    Add Onion, 1/3 cup, medium sliced.
    Add Old bay Seasoning. Gently stir to coat Shrimp.
    Cover and steam till Shrimp are pink.
    Add the remaining Shrimp and repeat.

You can use different seasonings if you do not have Old Bay Seasonings.

You can add corn on the cob in it to. You would have to cut it into smaller chunks. 

Old bay lemon pepper is good too.

Serve with Cocktail sauce which is Ketchup,Horse radish (look up a recipe) I usually buy Mckormicks. 

Good luck..

False