Help with edible wafer paper | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Help with edible wafer paper

Last post Dec 12, 2007 7:14 PM by msblueribbon . 5 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
  • Help with edible wafer paper

I found a torrone recipe that I want to make, but the recipe calls for edible wafer paper. I know we won't have any in town (at least that would be easy to find without going to a dozen stores). Do any of you know if I absolutely have to use edible wafer paper? Any suggestions? I thought about using wax paper and then peeling it off after the nougat cooled. However, I have to pour really hot candy onto the edible wafer paper in a pan so I'm thinking the wax paper would melt.

Have I thoroughly confused you? Tongue Tied

False
  • Re: Help with edible wafer paper

No, you have not confused me exceot I don't know what Torrone are/is (Italian?).

I have been familar with the edible wafer paper for just about as long as I am old (80 yrs). My father used it in our bakery in Germany where it is called "Oblaten". In fact, I still have a couple of boxes of 3" round ones. They were used under maccaroons, honey cake cookies and such and stayed as an edible oart of the baked goods.

Try any European deli, preferrably a German or Scandinavian one, I bet they have the wafers.

No, you can't use wax paper and I would not recoomend foil either. You may try the silicone baking sheets they use for linig cookie sheets. They can take the heat and wil not let  anything stick (so the claim).

Hope this helps.

False

Thank you Grelo. Yes torrone's are Italian. It's a nougat type bar. Honey, sugar, egg whites, almond extract, pistachio's, etc. I made it today and just sprayed by pyrex baking pan really well with Pam. So far, it looks good. I have to let it sit for 8 hours and I have about 6 more to go. Thanks for your help!

False

In the book I have it says you can use rice paper. You can find the in the foreign food isle of the grocery store.

I haven't had Torrone in years.

Redawna

False

Taste of Home Field Editor. Blogger & Photographer.  http://nutmegdisrupted.com/

I decided to go ahead and make them last night without the edible wafer paper. Yummmm. I cut them and stored them. When I looked this morning, they had sort of run together.  Guess that's the purpose of the paper. Nonetheless, they are still good.

False

What I used on this cake is what you are looking for.  These are also called Wafer Sheets..They bend like paper and cut like paper but they are edible.  I know exactly what you are looking for.  I got a whole pack of 100 sheets for $14.00 in CALIFORNIA,  where I live.

The one in the Asian stores is NOT the one you are looking for...

False