Why do my cookies turn out paper-thin? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Why do my cookies turn out paper-thin?

Last post Feb 01, 2008 6:46 PM by maverickamy . 7 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
  • Why do my cookies turn out paper-thin?
    For the last several years, everytime I bake cookies they end up paper thin. I follow recipes exactly, use nice heavy-duty stainless-steel cookie sheets, and have no idea why my cookies, recipe after recipe, come out so flat and thin. I've tried substituting butter, margerine, shortening, half-butter/half-shortening, etc., and it's the same thing time and time again.... HELP!!!
    False
  • Re: Why do my cookies turn out paper-thin?

From my experiences I have found 2 factors that can do this. Perhpas there are more but I personally have encountered this from:

-over creaming the butter into the sugar. the sugar dissoloves at some point and becomes more liquidy . This is my most frequent casue when I go back and re-evaluate my procedures.

-reloading a baking sheet while it is still hot.

Hope this helps out a bit.

Tina

False

False
    Nancy R. Ibe-Mueller

I have the exact same problem.  It has only been happening the last year or two and I haven't changed the recipe or the brand of ingredients I am using.  And it doesn't matter what type of cookie I am making.  I hope someone out there can help us solve the problem.

False
    Nancy R. Ibe-Mueller

I had the same problem especially with chocolate chip cookies, I just started adding more flour, up to about ½ cup.  That seems to help, I haven't noticed it with any other cookies.

Debie

False

I just experienced the same problem, and found out its b/c of  overcreaming the butter and sugars. Another variable is to make sure your oven is very hot, and your dough is cold. So a tip: After you've mixed your dough and spooned out your cookies on the cookie sheet, put the sheet in the frig for a little bit, enough to chill the dough (like 5 minutes or so), THEN put it in the oven.

Another tip would be to line your cookie sheet w/ parchment paper (which reduces the spread of the cookies).

Here's the link where i found this info... What I found interesting was they melted the butter on the stovetop, rather than creaming it (so much easier when it comes to mixing). I tried these methods and noticed my cookies were not flat anymore.

http://tinyurl.com/387u8j

Hope that helps!

Christine

False

That answer about using parchment sounds right on the money. 

I also tend to weigh my flour.  Most flours now come presifted so they are lighter when you measure they by cupfuls.

False
    Lord, let me be the person that my dog thinks I am.

Oh, something else my ma noticed!   She bought a new mixer and she said that the new mixers have little wire "beaters" and she found that they don't do as good of a job actually "creaming" butter like the beaters that looked more blade-like.  She worked for a bakery for many years so I trust her insight about this.  Her old mixer had 4 blades on each stem and each blade was about 3/8 inch wide.  Maybe the wire beaters put too much air into the dough? 

False
    Lord, let me be the person that my dog thinks I am.