Help needed! How do I get my cake mixes to rise properly? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Help needed! How do I get my cake mixes to rise properly?

Last post Mar 01, 2003 5:54 AM by patty613 . 4 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
  • Help needed! How do I get my cake mixes to rise properly?
    I don't understand what I am doing wrong I follow the directions on the box but still my cakes are only about half the heigth that they should be. I can remember the days when my cakes used to come to the top of the pan but for some reason I can't get them any higher than about an inch and a half. I have a Kitchen Aid mixer what speed should I be using...am I over mixing? Under mixing? Am I not greasing the sides enough or over greasing them? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
    False
  • RE: Help needed! How do I get my cake mixes to rise properly?
    Not an expert but I make sure all of the ingredients;, water, oil, eggs, etc. are all at room temp or a LITTLE above and spray lightly the bottom of the pan only and beat on medium less than 2 min. Never have a problem with any type of box mix since doing that. Rusty
    False
    Hi,
    I have had this problem as well. Since you are using a kitchen aid mixer I would suggest putting it on the low speed and make sure that you are mixing it for 3-4 minutes. If you don't mix it long enough it will not rise. Hope this helps!
    Happy Baking!
    Jenirae
    False
    check the dates on the mixes, maybe they are old. I had that happen before, maybe add a little baking powder or is it soda. I forget which to help with the rising if they are old, about 1/2 tea. to 1 teaspoon.
    False
    Chris
    HI! Kitchen aids are generally more powerful than most home mixers, so I suspect you may be overmixing if you're following the directions exactly. So I'd recommend a lower speed than what's on the box and probably a little less time as well. (You could check the directions with your mixer or email kitchen aid also).

If this doesn't work, I'd double-check pan sizes and also your oven temp.
    False