Is there a difference between yellow cornmeal & white cornmeal, and can they be interchangeable in a recipe? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Is there a difference between yellow cornmeal & white cornmeal, and can they be interchangeable in a recipe?

Last post Oct 25, 2010 4:27 PM by Elleellee . 10 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
  • Is there a difference between yellow cornmeal & white cornmeal, and can they be interchangeable in a recipe?
    False
  • Re: Is there a difference between yellow cornmeal & white cornmeal, and can they be interchangeable in a recipe?
    You can grown yellow or white corn (bi-colored too) and then you grind this corn and get cornmeal....thus, white or yellow cornmeal. I cannot tell a difference in the flavor but my Grandma insisted that white cornmeal made better cornbread and yellow cornmeal was better for frying fish. I usually only keep yellow because I've never found white stone ground cornmeal and I do think there is a better flavor with stone ground meal. And, yes, they are interchangeable.
    False
  • Re: Is there a difference between yellow cornmeal & white cornmeal, and can they be interchangeable in a recipe?

I beleive the only difference is the color of the corn and you can use either one for what ever.

False

yellow cornmeal is naturally sweet.  It is not used in the South for cornbread...in fact, we don't use yellow cornmeal.

False

thefluffyturtle

yellow cornmeal is naturally sweet.  It is not used in the South for cornbread...in fact, we don't use yellow cornmeal.

I do. I was born in the South and have lived here 74 years. I buy a local product and it is yellow cornmeal.

False

I was born in the South as well.  I have been here only 73 years.  My mother would be 107 years old if she was still here.  Neither one of us would ever use yellow cornmeal.  Cornbread is made with white cornmeal and never ever has sugar in it. I suppose we must agree to disagree on this one.

False

It's very simople:  it is a matter of personal taste no matter where you live.

False

I agree that cornbread shouldn't have sugar in it.

False

I've used both yellow and white cornmeal.  The only difference I've noticed is that yellow cornmeal tends to be sweeter than white.  They are interchangeable in recipes.  It's a matter of choice.  Just because someone prefers one taste over the other doesn't make the other person wrong.  Variety is the spice of life.  That's why we all have tastebuds (and taste preferences.)

False

Me  too, I  like Yellow best. I  buy  it  all  the  time. No white meal for me; unless I  can't find the yellow. LOL

False

White and yellow corn, and their associated products, can be used interchangeably; however, yellow corn has more nutrition than white.

False