Chokecherries | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Chokecherries

Last post Jul 18, 2008 7:29 PM by GranMarion____MN . 4 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
  • Chokecherries

I have the opportunity to pick chokecherries for jam/jelly.  Does anyone have a recipe for either jam or jelly using chokecherries.  The pectin inserts does not indicate chokecherries.

False
  • Re: Chokecherries

Choke Cherry Jam

ms__gehrke

posted on June 26/06

3-1/2 cups prepared fruit (buy about 3 lb. fully ripe chokecherries)
    1 cup water
    1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
    1 box Fruit Pectin
    1/4 tsp. butter or margarine
    6 cups sugar, measured into separate bowl

BRING boiling-water canner, half full with water, to simmer. Wash jars and screw bands in hot soapy water; rinse with warm water. Pour boiling water over flat lids in saucepan off the heat. Let stand in hot water until ready to use. Drain jars well before filling.

CRUSH chokecherries thoroughly, one layer at a time. Place chokecherries and water in medium saucepan. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 20 min. or until tender. Press through a sieve. Measure exactly 3-1/2 cups prepared fruit into 6- or 8-qt. saucepot. Stir in lemon juice.

STIR pectin into fruit in saucepot. Add butter to reduce foaming. Bring mixture to full rolling boil (a boil that doesn't stop bubbling when stirred) on high heat, stirring constantly. Stir in sugar. Return to full rolling boil and boil exactly 4 min., stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim off any foam with metal spoon.

LADLE immediately into prepared jars, filling to within 1/8 inch of tops. Wipe jar rims and threads. Cover with two-piece lids. Screw bands tightly. Place jars on elevated rack in canner. Lower rack into canner. (Water must cover jars by 1 to 2 inches. Add boiling water, if necessary.) Cover; bring water to gentle boil. Process 10 min. Remove jars and place upright on a towel to cool completely. After jars cool, check seals by pressing middles of lids with finger. (If lids spring back, lids are not sealed and refrigeration is necessary.)

False
    'A true friend is someone who knows you're a good egg even if you're a little cracked.'

Chokecherry Wine

golfmum4u__nd

posted June 11/06

1 1/2 qt. chokecherries
    1 gal boiling water
    4 lb. white sugar ( 8 cups )
    3 lemons, sliced
    2 oranges, sliced
    1 envelope bread yeast

Let chokecherries and boiling water stand for 3 days.

Strain and add oranges, lemon, sugar and yeast. (heat some juice and dissolve sugar, this makes mixture lukewarm). Let stand for 2 weeks. Siphon into bottles, put caps on but do not screw on tightly. This takes about a month.

I know a lady that makes this and instead of putting the caps on she stretchs balloons over the bottles. You have to wash out the balloons first because of the talcom powder in them. The balloons will inflate then as the wine ages they will deflate. Once it is totally deflated you can either put caps on or drink it.

Note: This is how my mom made the wine. - GranMarion

False
    'A true friend is someone who knows you're a good egg even if you're a little cracked.'

Thank you very much.  Have you prepared this jam "open kettle?"  Open kettle is how I usually make my jam.

False

I never made it myself. My mom did/ And yes, she always did her jam open-kettle. She made a stot Chokecherry Wine, too.

These recipes weren't mine. You'll notice that I named the person who posted them beneath the title of the recipe. If you want to talk to them about it you could address a message to them. You know, Attention . . . "

False