Mini loaf pans vs. full size | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Mini loaf pans vs. full size

Last post Nov 05, 2008 4:55 AM by TheDivaSharon . 6 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
  • Mini loaf pans vs. full size

Hi, I was wondering how many mini loaves you can get from a full size loaf recipe? Also how do I adjust the cooking time?

False
  • Re: Mini loaf pans vs. full size

Q: Can I make mini-loaves from my recipe ? A: Yes, but you have to do a few things first:

Convert baking pan sizes: A typical 9" x 5" x 3" loaf pan holds 8 cups. An 8 1/2" x 4-1/2" x 2-1/2" loaf pan holds 6 cups. An 8" x 4" x 2-1/2" loaf pan holds four cups. You have to calculate how much your mini pans hold, as all mini pan sizes vary.

Measure the capacity of a mini pan: Fill a large measuring cup with water, taking note of its measurement. Pour water into the pan until it just reaches the very top. Make note of how much water was used. If it is a two-part pan, fill it with sugar or rice.

Adjust baking times: The oven temperature should stay the same, but the baking times will be shorter. Since every mini pan size varies, estimate that the baking time will be 1/4 less than the recipe states for the large loaf

RE: Petite Loaf Pan Recipes
    Posted by: Redraspberrygirl Posted on: 10/28/2006 9:06:00 PM
    #R8278481
    FOR MINI-LOAVES: Baking Chart
    Approx. Pan Size Amount of Batter Approx. Bake

Time at 350ºF for 1 pan*

1/3 cup 1/4 cup 15 to 20 min
    1/2 cup 2/3 cup 15 to 20 min
    2/3 to 3/4 cup 1/2 cup 25 to 35 min
    1 cup 3/4 cup 35 to 40 min

*NOTE: If you have multiple pans in the oven at once, baking times will increase.

False

Thanks for the great info - it was very helpful.

False

I have a simpler method.

I cut off one small piece of dough I think will fit into a mini pan, give it a fast keand and shape and put it into the pan. If is between half and 2/3 full.  If it is  not have the righ quantitiy  I either pinch off a pice or add a piece. Then I weigh it and proceed by cutting pieces of the same size, weighing each and fill my pans.

I do the same with my regular bread baking. 20 cups of white flour (plud what I need for knrading) yield 7 lg loaves. 20 cups of fresh ground whole hard white wheat flour yield 5 loaves because the bread is heavier and more dense.

The oaves from white flour weigh 2 1/4 lbs (raw dough) and the whole wheat 3 lbs of raw dough per lg pan.

I am curious: how do you measure dough in cups???? You still have to divide your big batch of dough in order to make small ones so do you try to fill cups and do it that way???? (I would find thatvery inconvenient and think  weighing is much easier)

False

I use a 9 x 5 regular loaf....that makes three mini loaves for me, or 8 of the cute tiny loaves.  Easy.
    Works out every time.

False
    Measure the capacity of a mini pan: Fill a large measuring cup with water, taking note of its measurement. Pour water into the pan until it just reaches the very top. Make note of how much water was used. If it is a two-part pan, fill it with sugar or rice.

This is my first post to this forum.  Thank you for allowing me to butt in.

I really appreciate the inforrmation so far provided.  The thing I am wondering about is now that i have measured my various mini-pans, is there a rule to thumb to know how much batter to put in? I ask this because in my attermpts to guess, my pans have overflowed.  Fortunately I had put them on cookie sheet.  Perhaps I should mention that I am filling them with cake batter.

Filling my pans with water, I see I have some that hold 1.5 cups, others that hold 2, others that hold 3.

Thank you for your help.

Sister Gloriamarie

False

I always fill 2/3 full and never have a problem with over-flow.  I think if you bake it at too high a temperature, it will rise too fast and spill.  I bake mine at 325 degrees, which is slower and therefore, it bakes more in the middle, so by the time it rises, it's solid enough not to spill over.

False