Non-Dairy Substitution for Evaporated Milk? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Non-Dairy Substitution for Evaporated Milk?

Last post Feb 20, 2013 1:16 PM by shello11 . 12 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
  • Non-Dairy Substitution for Evaporated Milk?

I need a non-dairy substitution for evaporated milk (and for condensed milk).  For health reasons, I cannot use nonfat dried milk, buttermilk, or any other source that has lactose, milk, lactulose, or caseinate in any form. This is for baking and cooking, not for drinking.  Thanks in advance for your help.

False
  • Re: Non-Dairy Substitution for Evaporated Milk?

my oldest is a vegan and she cooks with almond milk....and some soy...but she prefers the almond milk...

even the "non" dairy creamers have some form of milk in them....so check out the soy or nut milks....I don't know how they would stand up to canned or condensed milk...so can't answer that part....

False

It's not how you start, it's how you end....so end strong!!

Walk yourself strong!!

I have a frend who is lactose intolrant. She shops in healthfood stores. There is one supplier that also supplies supplies our Buying club.

The name is:    Azurestandard.com.  Azurestandrd also does mail order to individuals but shipping may be too costly. Our buying club is on their truck delivery route. They have soy products of all kinds, cream cheese, yogurt, also almond milk, different hard cheeses.cheeses.

On their website ou can also click on nfrmation of these products and it will tell you exactly what is in them, each has a list of ingredients.

It will give you an idea of what is available and  what you may find  in your area. .. Any healthfood store should be able to order those thigs either from them or through "Mountainpeople's Warehouse"" out of California ,another very large supplier that has joined a  nationwide conglomerate but they no longer  have a catalog and supply only stores.

Azure will do mail order. The best way is to join a buying club or a healthfood co-op. Your local chamber of commerce may  know or go to your county extension service, they will know where such co-ops are. You can join either one to becaome a member (fees vary, ourclub  is $5.00 yr) and get a  discount on things..

False

Thanks for the answers. I already use soy and rice milks. I need the replacement equivalent of evaporated milk: for instance, for 1-1/2 cup evaporated milk, use x amount of soy milk plus or minus y amount of water.  Thanks again.

False

Homemade Evaporated Milk

1 1/2 c warm water
    1 c powdered milk
    2 tbslp margarine

Mix dry milk and warm water together. Add margarine. In a small pan, heat mixture together. Beat well, cool and store in the refrigerator.

Homemade Sweetened Condensed Milk

If recipe calls for 2/3 cup sweetened condensed milk, use 3/4 cup evaporated milk and 3/4 to 1 c. sugar. Cook for 12 minutes. For 14 oz. can of condensed milk, use one large can of evaporated milk, 1 1/3 to 1 1/2 cup sugar. Cook on low 12 minutes.

Use the powdered form of soy, rice, or any other allowed milk. Evaporated milk has about 60% of the water removed so you could also try heating your regular soy or rice milk until some of the water evaporates. Use 2 cups and heat until it's reduced to 3/4 cup to 7/8 cup.

You can also use canned coconut milk in place of evaporated milk. Not the lite variety; it's to thin. And coconut milk is free of lactose, milk, lactulose, or caseinate and full of good fats. I use Thai Kitchen Premium Coconut Milk.

Hope this helps. ema

False

I  think a lot of people don't understand that powdered milk is not a non-dairy product.

Instead try using non dairy powdered cream substitutes such a Cremora. Read the ingredients listings to pick one, then use a judicious mixture of water, powdered non dairy creamer and margarine , experimenting to get the desired results. You might be able to E-mail the manufacturers as they may be able to help. Some Jewish cooking sites may be able to offer suggestions as there might be Jewish recipes calling for evaporated milk that would be tref (non-kosher) with meat for the religious.

False
    conniegw

I need a non-dairy substitution for evaporated milk (and for condensed milk).  For health reasons, I cannot use nonfat dried milk, buttermilk, or any other source that has lactose, milk, lactulose, or caseinate in any form. This is for baking and cooking, not for drinking.  Thanks in advance for your help.

False

Have you considered whipping soft Tofy with water or almond milk to get the consistency of evaporatd milk?

My friend does this to make non- dairy "whipped cream". IT may work to make something like evaporated milk, maybe you just have to experimnt a little bit.

Azurestandard.com may even have a soy product that is the equal of evaporated milk. If that doesn't work, you'll have to get along with recipes that do not call for evaporated milk. Many people with food allergies have to adjust to do without what they are allergic to.

False

In the book Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar, there's a magic bar recipe that uses a technique where instead of sweetened condensed milk, you take a can of coconut milk and cook it on the stovetop on low heat until it thickens to about 1/3 of the original amount. I've made the bars and they are delicious. If you don't want a coconut flavour, I bet the technique would also work with other non-dairy milks.

False

Is there room in your buying group for another person.  My contact is moving.

False

This food allergy site  is very helpful.  I have never seen this milk substitute in stores but it might be helpful to you.

Food allergy

If that link doesn't work, here's the address. 

http://www.eatingwithfoodallergies.com/dairysubstitutes.html

False

Non-Dairy Evaporated milk can  be made by bringing 2 ½ cups of non-dairy milk (I refer Almond Milk) to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly until the volume is reduced to 1 cup. Cool and refrigerate until needed.

I hope this helps. I find it works great in any recipe that calls for evaporated milk!

False

My sister law altered a recipe for me:  instead of using a can of evaporated milk, she put an egg in the bottom of a measuring cup first, then filled in the rest of the measured amount  she needed with soy milk..  It's not vegan, but it's dairy free.  I've used that method a couple of times, and it seems to work.

False