aluminum foil pans for frozen dinners for friends | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

aluminum foil pans for frozen dinners for friends

Last post Jul 05, 2011 8:07 PM by marykathrynjohnson . 7 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
  • aluminum foil pans for frozen dinners for friends

Ladies I need help to know if there is time I shouldn't use aluminum tin pans for freezing meals.  A friend and young mom is going to have a mastectomy this month and I was planning to make her some meals for her freezer because I live an hour away and can't take meals over daily.  Any recipe suggestions would be appreciated too.  Thanks in advance Smile

False
  • Re: aluminum foil pans for frozen dinners for friends

I've been delivering meals to a couple of post-op patients recently & I tend to use microwavable containers.  There are some inexpensive ones in the supermarket - seems like almost everyone has a microwave.  And, sometimes tomato-based sauces can be a problem around aluminum foil and/or the pans.  Or, sometimes I pick up some very inexpensive dishes, casseroles at garage sales or rummage sales & pass the food along in those.  I don't like to use anything that they need to return to me.  My last meal delivery was to a friend & church member who just had knee replacement.  Her refrigertor & freezer was full of containers...it can be a burden to remember which dish goes back to who.  Sometimes the little stickers w/your name on it can come off or sometimes the recipient just isn't up to returning them.  My friend isn't feeling too great, has therapy & dr. appointments...it would be a challange to get everything back to people. 

False

I use the ones from Glad.  They are inexpensive & come in 2 sizes for casseroles, 9x13 & 8" sq.  They come with lids as well.  They can go in the microwave, freezer & oven.  If they go in the oven, remove the lid & place on cookie sheet.  They can only be cooked up to 350 degrees, but most casseroles don't get cooked hotter than that.  I also make cakes & brownies in them.  They stack well in the freezer & like I said, they are inexpensive.  The best thing is that they are reusable so the person you give a meal to gets a new container to use when they are better!

False

Chicken pot pie freezes well...cookies or dough freeze well if she has a family member that can bake them. Sometimes there's nothing better than cookies warm from the oven. Don't foget baked ziti or lasagna to freeze too. Hope all's well with your friend! Big Smile

False

Visit my blogs:

www.everythingforkids.wordpress.com

www.partiespartiesparties.wordpress.com

Stop signs are NOT a suggestion! 

Talk Like A Pirate Day countdown banner

Dear Math: I am not your therapist...solve your own problems!

I often make a big pan of lasagna roll-ups and freeze the rolls individually in quick release foil. This works well for people who live alone. They can pop one or two in the oven or microwave and never have food that goes to waste.

False

I never approve, or disapprove, of anything now. It is an absurd attitude to take towards life. We are not sent into the world to air our moral prejudices. I never take any notice of what common people say, and I never interfere with what charming people do. --Oscar Wilde

Our local Meal on Wheels folks places the food in some type of microwavable "cardboard" dish and seal the top with a plastic cover for their daily "hot meal" delivery. They use the foil containers for the frozen dinners which can be placed in the oven. The frozen food in the foil plate can easily be popped out, placed on a microwavable dish and "nuked".  

False

popmomshelby

Ladies I need help to know if there is time I shouldn't use aluminum tin pans for freezing meals.  A friend and young mom is going to have a mastectomy this month and I was planning to make her some meals for her freezer because I live an hour away and can't take meals over daily.  Any recipe suggestions would be appreciated too.  Thanks in advance Smile

False

I do this sort of thing for some of the Seniors in my area that I know don't eat as well as they should.  It is very difficult to eat when alone.  So...I have really been experimenting with this type of thing.  For some that I know use a toaster oven, I make my casserole and then place it in several small foil pans.  Then I freeze it in quart-size freezer bags.  For those that I know might use the microwave, I try to use disposable single serving containers. 

For a family-size casserole I have started making the casserole in a really general size dish, freezing it and then slipping it out into a heavy duty foil type of package I put together.  I put a note on top that they can just slip it foil and all into an 8x8 pan with instructions for reheating. 

What I have really been striving for is to be able to give someone a meal or entre but to make sure they don't have to worry about returning or even washing my dish.

I would really appreciate any other ideas people have too.

Kathy

False

“Cookery is not chemistry. It is an art. It requires instinct and taste rather than exact measurements.” - Marcel Boulestin