How old is your Betty Crocker cookbook and what recipes do you still use? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

How old is your Betty Crocker cookbook and what recipes do you still use?

Last post Sep 08, 2013 11:29 PM by cookiebakr . 53 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 4 (54 items) 1234
  • How old is your Betty Crocker cookbook and what recipes do you still use?

Mine was a Christmas gift from my mom in 1982. I was 18.

I still use regularly the Pumpkin Bread, Banana Nut Bread, Cherry Nut Bread and  Sugar Cookie recipes. Also Rumaki. The pages holding those recipes are speckled with years' old batter and oil spots and notations in the margins: the sure sign of the cook's favorites!!

Iris

False
  • Re: How old is your Betty Crocker cookbook and what recipes do you still use?

Oh my! I still have my first Better Homes and Gardens cookbook that I purchased in the 70's. The pages are falling out because it is a ring binder. I replaced it with a new one about 15 years after but they had changed a lot of the recipes. I still have to go back to the old. Every recipe I have made from it has been a success. My second favorite is a Hunt's cookbook that I got for mailing in can lids. Had to replace it with one from EBay when it wore out and started to shed pages.

False

mine is from the 80's too...and it was missing a page...the zuchinni bread page...my daughter got one in 1994 (wedding gift)...same one and she photo copied the page for me...lol

now my better homes and gardens one is from 1971....a bridal shower gifts...

my oldest cookbook is from Rutland, VT....it's a church issued cookbook from 1935...

I use the first 2 all the time...the last I only make 1 cookie recipe out of it...

False

It's not how you start, it's how you end....so end strong!!

Walk yourself strong!!

Mine is from 1964 - Good and easy Cookbook. It has a lot of basic instructions.  The one that I use is Turkey Divine but I changed it to chicken.  Some cookie recipes.

False

My Betty Crocker cookbook is copyrighted 1956, second edition, first printing.

It is a bit tattered, bound with duct tape, has pages falling out of it, and has food spattered on it. I still use it for the sweet bread recipe that I make into hot rolls and cinnaman rolls, the berry pie recipes, chocolate chip cookies, and a number of other things. It is the first cookbook I refer to when I want to find something. I guess old habits die hard! 

I would hate to give it up but I do use the internet quite often for information now.

False

It's from 1979. I use the banana cake recipe in it.

False

Never had one.

False

Mine was a wedding gift in 1962.  It's a 1961 first edition second printing Betty Crocker's New Picture Cookbook.  I often use the Pork Chops Supreme recipe and the chocolate no bake cookies made with oatmeal.  They were my boys' favorites as they were growing up.

Marge

False

Mine was a wedding gift in 1979-  actually had to duct-tape the spine of it about 10 years ago, but  I still have all the pages (I am one to write hints and tips on the pages as I discover them, so it is very well used, it is my oldest and best book...). I use the recipes for chicken pot pie and  many of the  pie and cookie recipes (peanut butter, mostly) Occasionaly i will use it when I need ideas for new recipes!

False

"Practice random acts of kindness"

My first cookbook was an anniversary gift for our first anniversary in 1970.  It's a Better Homes and Gardens cookbook. My husband must have thought I needed a little help, I still use it.

Like some of the other people my book is well worn and has remnants of ingredients from favorite recipes. 

False

I have a "newer" Betty Crocker cookbook from the '80s. but my favorite Betty Crocker cookbook is the one that my mother handed down to me from the '50s. It has more recipes ffor making things from scratch than my newer one. My other favorite cookbook is "Cookery for 1 or 2" by Barbara Swain. She had good explanations to help new cooks.

False

My BCcookbook is from 1972 and I have a thinner edition from 1981. I still use a lot of the cookie recipes,.

False
    GirlSquirrel

I still have my 1st betty Crocker cookbook that i recieved from a cousin as a wedding gift in 1963. It is the looseleaf edition and many of the pages are falling out but still there. The recipe I use the most is the Oriental Veal Casserole, I substitute pork. It has always been one of our favorites. I also still use the snickerdoodle and other cookie recipes, although I don't bake nearly as often as I did when my kids were young.It is still a book I keep within reach because it taught me how to cook and there are many other recipes in there that we love. Pat

False

When in high school, I took home economics as a class.  One book required was Betty Crocker Cook Book.  Mine is dated 1956. Now you know I am getting up there in years!  I still pull my Betty Crocker out from time to time to help me determine substitutions, or use the helpful hints to make a certain chore easier, or which herbs and spices go well with certain foods..  Many years ago, I recovered the loose leaf binder with contact shelf paper. And, like someone else said they did, I used duct tape to hold the bind together.   I also have reinforced many of the page holes with self stick reinforcements.  It is so tattered, but I would never get rid of it.

I began my marriage with the book, raised my two children on the recipes therein.  I still use it as general reference.  I have some fav cookie, cake, & souffle recipes that I still make from its pages.   Cooking has changed somewhat in that span of time.  It seems to me that today, we use many more wide-ranged foods (for instance cuisine from foreign countries, therefore, more herbs and spices and exotic ingredients).  Back in 1956, the recipes tended to be mostly mid-west farm style.

False

I'm new here and becoming familiar with these forums-- I think I'll have fun here!

My oldest Betty Crocker book is a 1961 classic.  It was a wedding gift to my parents, and it's the one I learned from.  I love all the tips in it.  I do still use it quite a bit.  What's fun now, though, is that my 10-year-old daughter has used it now to make a few cookie recipes-- that's how I started with this!

I LOVE the fudge brownie recipe here as well as the chocolate pudding and all the wonderful pie recipes!  I've roasted many meats with tips from here.  It's where I learned my favorite stuffing recipe.  And I made some wodnerful rolls using what's in here.

- Cathy

False