coil burners vs smooth top | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

coil burners vs smooth top

Last post Aug 06, 2012 1:51 PM by doogle73 . 18 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 12
  • coil burners vs smooth top

Need a new range and would love a smooth top but also do a lot of canning-anyone using a smooth top for canning?  Which brand?

Thanks

False
  • Re: coil burners vs smooth top

we don't can....but we do steam tamales several times a year....in a large pot...we have a smooth top...as with any cooktop a flat bottom pan or skillet is best....as it has no cool areas...

I have had both....and those dang coils NEVER laid flat...always at a small tilt, no matter what we did...

I have a GE profile cooktop...it's what came with the house...and I must say I like it...I prefer cooking with gas...but not at option here...

the cooktop has a heat bridge...between the 2 mid-size burners....when you flip the knob it makes 1 long burner...great for pancake griddles...if I had one....LOL...but I did use it last thanksgiving to make the gravy in the turkey roaster...and it worked great..

False

It's not how you start, it's how you end....so end strong!!

Walk yourself strong!!

I have a smooth-top range that I absolutely love. It's so easy to clean. I cook very heavy on it, although I don't can anything. I feed 30 to 40 people every Sunday noon. No turning back--smooth for me from now on. Boil overs and spills stay right there and can be wet down to soak, then easily cleaned up or scraped off with a glass scraper (wet surface). And it has a fully timed, self cleaning oven that is to die for. The worst messes turn to ash in a couple of hours. Most Sundays I leave for church with something in the timed oven, ready to turn on and cook, and something on the cooktop. Gas is not an option for me in my house.

False
    Awynne

i can and i have a smooth top and i hate mine it is a regular and a convection oven and i hate it and i have never had anything to not seal when i caned before but last year i did i had it sold but ny husband talked me out of it this is the second one that i had i had a G E profile and 3 yrs ago we had a fire and i did everything to that stove but if i ever get another one i will get a coil that is just my opinion thanks dorothy from tenn
    False

I have to say that I prefer gas ranges to can. I use the pressure canner a lot during canning season and a pressure cooker very often for meals. I find that the gas burners allow me to regulate the temperature much more quickly and to maintain an even heat. I burned out a good many coils when I used to can on an electric stove.

False

Thanks for replying.  I haven't heard anyone say yet that they do a lot of canning on one and never had a problem. Will probalby stick to the coils.

False

I happen to be on a committee building a new addition to our Extension building and we are adding a bigger kitchen.  During our search for appliances I have found that most smooth top units will recommend their units not for canning due to the extreme heat generated by the canner.  We are going with a coil top.  Unfortunately, most of the coil type stoves are very plain jane without added bells and whistles.

False

I want a smooth top too.  My propane BBQ grill has a side burner.  Would that be a option for you?

False

moly

I have to say that I prefer gas ranges to can. I use the pressure canner a lot during canning season and a pressure cooker very often for meals. I find that the gas burners allow me to regulate the temperature much more quickly and to maintain an even heat. I burned out a good many coils when I used to can on an electric stove.

I am with Molly on this. Nothing better than gas for canning and any other cooking. Heat-flame easy to regulate just right. Had an electric range once and had to stand there when canning with a pressure canner because the emp was either to high or too low. Had to constantly regulate it and that was a bunch of hooey.

I LOVE my gas range. It has very heavy duty grates and easily holds a "double-decker" pressure canner that can hold 14 quart jars. That is a lot of weight. If you do canning  you don't want a smooth top.

I may add: when the power is off you can lght yourtop burners with a match or lighter and can still cook and heat water, not so with electric.

False

I totally HATE my ceramic top range. If I had a choice I would have a "dual fuel" gas on top w/ electric oven.I have found out that you cannot use a grill pan on them. 1) have you ever tried to find a totally flat bottomed grill pan?  2) The "grill" ridges are supposed to concentrtate the heat unevenly and can crack the ceramic top. 

Why Oh Why did I spend all that money on the thing. Guess I have to wait until it breaks before I can go to gas.  [:'(]

False
    Chris

Hiya,

The first smooth top I had purchased was not all that great for canning  because the cooktop occelated to keep at an even temp.  What I mean by that is that is that the burner went to high for a little while then shut itself off and then back to high and shut off, so it didn't keep a steady temperature and was difficult to keep the boiling water kettle at a steady boil.  That cooktop was a GE brand and I don't recommend them.

The one I have now is a Frigidaire and I absolutely LOVE IT FOR CANNING.  It has 5 burners and 2 of them are both large and small element depending on which way you turn the knob.  The one burner is large enough to totally encase the bottom of a canning kettle.  We purchased this one at Lowe's....I don't know if you have one of those stores in your area.  Hope this helps :-)

False

Is your 5 burner Frigidaire a gas or smooth top stove?  We are specifically looking to buy a stove for canning and I just saw the 5 burner gas stoves at Best Buy.  I have never used gas for canning, I have always used electric coil type stoves.  Thanks for the post.  

False

This will be my first canning season with a smooth top stove.  My understanding is that the "regular" graniteware type canners with RIDGED bottoms don't work because the heat builds up the in the ridges, causing the burner to shut off.  So, either get a flat bottomed canner, improvise with a large stock pot, or use the side burner of the grill or outdoor propane stove. I tend to do boiling water bath canning outside anyway because of the heat and mess. The appliance store we went to vowed that NOBODY had complained of their stovetop breaking or other similar problems with canning, and we have a lot of folks who at least still make and can jam and some fruit in this area.  Also watch out for sugar syrup boilovers as the boiling syrup will pit the glass.

FairJudge

False

we put in a new smooth top. i could use the water bath canner but NOT the pressure canner. with the pressure canner it has to blow steam before you place the gauge on. it would reach that temp. & then pulse down , therefore the canner could never blow steam.  The smooth top large burner where I put the water bath burned out. it cost more to replace that one burner than we gave for the cook top. we decided to go back to the coil type elec. cook top. haven't regretted it at all. doesn't look as sleek but clean up is easier & i can use any pot or pan & def. I can use the pressure canner.  would never go back to a smooth top. it was a pain in the rear to clean. i dribbled hot jelly on it when  cooking it &  it left perm. pits in the glass top. It was a kitchenaide cook top.

hope that helps.

False

Hi,

Well, since my last post I have new information.  Although I have not broken my smooth top electric range top canning, it certainly can be done.  A while back I was making tamales and was adding more water to the kettle to steam them when I accidently spilled some water on the cooktop after it was very hot and was steaming the tamales for about an hour or so. The smooth top totally exploded and shattered all over the place.  The replacement cost was about $350.00 plus another $200.00 in labor, so I call them my $550.00 tamales!!!  Since then we took out a gas BBQ that was enclosed in our "sun room" patio and put in a gas cooktop (we could not afford the expense of running gas to the kitchen).  I recommend using gas to can with and will never can on my smooth top again, just can't afford to take the risk.  This is the key, make sure, if you are using a smooth top, to not splash water on it while it is hot.  By the same token, do not let your canner bubble over on the smooth top.  I think this is why they do not recommend using them to can with as it is very hard not to let water get on the cooktop while canning.  Hope this latest post helps, especially in light of my expensive experience.

False