Is there an easy way to peel coconut? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Is there an easy way to peel coconut?

Last post Mar 29, 2003 8:20 AM by Pups_ONT . 3 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
  • Is there an easy way to peel coconut?
    I've purchased a coconut & split it open. I thought I had seen somewhere an easier way to remove the thin brown skin on the coconut, by doing something to it, like steaming it? Can anyone help me?
    False
  • RE: Is there an easy way to peel coconut?
    I'm sorry,but I don't know of an easy way to peel a coconut. I usually use my vegetable peeler which works better than anything else I've tried. The steaming you mentioned might be referring to getting it out of the hard shell. I preheat my oven to 400 deg. and put the coconut in for 20 minutes and can usually get the hard shell off very easily...sometimes even leaving the coconut whole.
    False
    In one word NO. There is no easy way to peal a coconut. I lived in Homestead, Fl for over 40 years and found that the easiest way to handle coconuts was to pound the outside of the shell all over with a hammer, each time hitting it harder. This will loosen the meat from the shell.Then you will need a very sharp, thin bladed knife and pare the dark rind off the coconut. It is not always necessary to remove this "hide" if it is a very light brown in color. It is very tender at that point. If the "skin" is very dark and heavy, then you must remove it. P.S. Be sure to keep the coconut milk. It is excellent to drink or add to your fruit punch etc. It is a good idea to strain it. After I have all the skin removed, I will then either cut it into very thin strips, place on cookie sheet and bake at 200 for about 2 hours. This makes the best toasted coconut you have ever eaten. Otherwise, I will put it into my food processor to chop it up and use it for coconut pies, etc. There is nothing better than fresh coconut. It is well worth the effort. Good Luck Lynn
    False
    I have one suggestion, those it might be a pea-brained idea!
    Grate off the brown outer skin!
    Good luck!
    False