Cleaning Carrots | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Cleaning Carrots

Last post Nov 20, 2013 6:37 PM by Kasha . 8 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
  • Cleaning Carrots
    Does anyone know of an easy way to clean home grown carrots? We dig them and wash them with a hose outside but there is always that enbedded dirt in the creases. Purchased carrots always seem to be smooth. Wish I knew their secret. Any suggestions or tried & true methods would be appreciated.
    Thanks!
    False
  • RE: Cleaning Carrots
    I am not going to be of any help to you, but I will tell you how they used to clean them at the carrot fields by our house in CA. They had this very tall stream of water that cascaded over the carrots. How long they left this on for each group of carrots, I don't know, but we used to see the tall stream of water going constantly. I am with you on not knowing for home grown carrots - maybe someone will have some good idea.
    False
    HI! I rinse mine outside first, then use a vegetable brush inside to do the final cleaning. Occasionally I have to use a knife to cut out a particularly deep crease.

Home-grown are SO much better tasting!
    False
    Don't know that I can be of any help either. I happened to have on hand one day a new denture toothbrush and being as frustrated as you thought I'd give it a try. Was just doing enough carrots for that nites meal and actually worked fine. I've also used a pair of "bath mitts" (again new, that I keep in my kitchen just for doing young vegies)this is the kind that we hard working ladies use when we have a chance to have a soak and pamper ourselves with bubble bath, candles, a glass of wine etc etc - yeah right! I wish! I have not personally done it but a friend of ours said his mother did a lot of pickling and freezing etc. and if she was doing a large amount of carrots, cukes etc. she always used her washing machine. Obviously without soap and in cold water. Kind of stands to reason - the rubbing of the vegie against itself should clean it during a cycle. Don't know how I would handle it, maybe the gentle cycle and stop the machine before the spin dry cycle? Interesting concept.
    And those concepts are out there, I cooked one of the best trout we've had in a long time in my dishwasher and my brother is known in our area for his "manifold cooking" (put your roast, chops, hamburger, potatoes. vegies, whatever you have planned for dinner on arrival at your camping spot on the manifold at certain specified distances (kilometers here in Canada and miles in the USA) and voila! when you arrive at your destination lift up the hood of your vehicle and supper is a done deal. Sorry, most of the above has absolutley nothing to do with cleaning carrots. Been making salsa all day, trying different heats, peppers whatever - think I may have fried my brains - we lean towards mild and what I concocted today was not.
    False
    The easiest method is pulling when the soil is a bit on the dry side. I try to let the carrots air some & gently rub off whatever soil will come off. They seem to keep longer if you don't "super-clean" them before storing. Taste so much better than the store-bought, it is worth a little extra scrubbing when you do use them. You might try growing a different variety of carrot also.
    False
    Thanks for your replies. I think the kind of carrot has something to do with it. If anyone could suggest a variety they really like that would be interesting. Could you post? We went on a Reiman tour of Washington & Oregon a couple years ago. We stopped at a farm that grew seeds for the 'baby' carrots they sell in stores. We each got a sample and we shared with friends. We all agreed that they were the smoothest & best we ever had. I wrote the people to ask the variety or if they would sell any seed. Never heard from them. Darn! By the way the tour was so interesting. We would highly recommend it. The Utah tour is also great.
    False

It's been a long time since this previous post. But I got such a kick out of it I decided to try the washing machine method of cleaning carrots since we buy a big bag of Costco organic carrots at a time for juicing. Well, with a small exception it worked like a charm. I'll tell you at least one way NOT to do it. We have a front loading machine and I set it for the delicate cycle. That results in more soak time with only short periods of agitation after filling with water.  I put a little dish washing  liquid in the soap dish just to wash a bit -- like, just a one second squirt of Kirkland (Costco) dish washing brand . Well... that turned out to be  LOT in terms of what I had in mind and it took me three drain and refills before I got the suds out, even using some fabric softener to cut the suds (there's a tip for clothes washing in case you didn't know: a little fabric softener will annihilate an over suds condition like magic!). We have a water softener because of AZ really hard water (986ppm) and I figured I'd attempt to duplicate the suds amount like what we get with clothes detergent -- very little.  Well that was a real boo boo.  Dish washing liquid is a LOT more sudsy than clothes detergent it turns out. Probably everyone in the world knew that but me. Oh well... OK, so now we've all learned one way NOT to do it.  After getting the suds out I took the carrots out  of the washer and rinsed them thoroughly in the sink to get all the fabric softener off.  Well, they're clean all right!  OK, the second attempt I dumped a whole 10 lb bag in there again on the delicate cycle and put only two drops of dish washing liquid in the bin. Much better! Just a hint of suds. 18 effortless minutes later I had clean carrots. One time consuming job gone!

False

My daughter just harvested our carrots from the garden this weekend (11/6/13). We had a nice warm day in upper upstate NY on Saturday. (Our garden did not do too well this year, so she thought her onions/carrots/beets were a loss...but to her surprise they did quite well!).  She put them in the wheelbarrow and left them until Monday. I thought I would help her wash them up, so soaked them in the sink for about 15 minutes and started with the vegetable brush.  Well got through about 15 carrots and  had to go to work.  Took the remaining dirty carrots out of the sink, tossed them into my big Tupperware bowl (no water) and left them on the counter until Weds.  Now  I am back to cleaning carrots (no work today, so figured I could clean all day long). Soaked them in the sink again while I was reading about the washing machine technique. (Loved that idea, might try that on the next batch still in the wheelbarrow)  Went back to the sink and WOW they are scrubbing up a lot easier than two days ago!  Hope this helps someone!! 

False
    Rainbow carrot always go over well. For small carrots Mignon, and for storage bolero are good.....most of the time a good scrub with a nail brush works instead of peeling for us....
    False