Mushy Apples | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Mushy Apples

Last post Nov 16, 2010 7:26 AM by rwbostian . 3 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
  • Mushy Apples

What can I do with a bag of mushy apples that I got at the grocery?  I was very disappointed when I bit into the first one to discover that they were mushy.  Apparently they hadn't been kept cold.  They're not cooking apples--they're Red Delicious.  Does anyone have an idea about how I can use them?

False
  • Re: Mushy Apples
    Make apple sauce with them. It won't make that much so you won't have to can it. You can also make baked apples. Just peel the top and core. Stuff with either maple syrup or brown sugar, nuts, raisins, some cinnamon and nutmeg and bake at 375 for about 1/2 hour or so. With red delicious, especially Eastern red delicious, use less sweetener. Hope this helps.
    False

When the tides of life are against you

And the current upsets your boat

Don't think of things that might have been

Just lay on your back and float

Ed Norton     1954

The Honeymooners

I make applesauce in the slow cooker:  peel the apples, cut into cubes, add 1 medium sliced banana, 1 cup raisins, 3/4 cup orange juice, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup honey, 1/4 cup butter, melted, 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spce, 1 small lemon, cut into quarters and seeds removed, 1 envelope intant oatmeal (apple & cinnamom flavored) 1/2 cup boiling water.  Combine all but the oatmeal and water in a slow cooker, cover and cook for 3 0r 4 hours on high.  Remove lemon, mash the mixture, combine oatmeal and water, let stand for one minute, then stir into applesauce.  Store in mason jars in the refrigerator...  makes 5 1/2 cups

False

♥ Life is a song, sing it. Life is a game, play it. Life is a challenge, meet it. Life is a dream, realize it, Life is a sacrifice, offer it. Life is love, enjoy it. And, life is cooking, eat it. (Sai Baba & Judy)

♥ Judy Batson, Volunteer Field Editor, Taste of Home, 2009 ♥ Contest Winner, Country Woman, 2011♥ Meet me at Cooking for Two.

This spiced apple bread recipe contains fresh chopped apples, raisins, chopped pecans, and spices.

Ingredients:

• 2 2/3 cups flour
    • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
    • 1 teaspoon salt
    • 2 teaspoons cinnamon
    • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    • 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
    • 2 cups granulated sugar
    • 1 cup vegetable oil
    • 4 eggs, beaten
    • 2 teaspoons vanilla
    • 4 cups coarsely chopped apples
    • 1 cup raisins
    • 1 cup chopped pecans
    • 2 teaspoons sugar mixed with 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

Preparation:

In a bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, and spices. In a mixing bowl, combine sugar and oil. Beat in eggs and vanilla, then stir in chopped apples, raisins, and pecans. Add the dry ingredients and mix until well blended. Grease 2 9x5-inch loaf pans and line bottoms with waxed paper. Greased waxed paper. Pour batter into pans, smoothing the top with a spatula or spoon. Bake for 20 minutes at 325°. Pull out rack and sprinkle loaves with the cinnamon sugar mixture. Continue baking for 30 to 40 minutes, or until a wooden pick or cake tester inserted in center comes out clean.

Cool for 10 minutes; turn out onto a rack. Slice and serve or freeze.

False

Ric Smile