HALF A PIE PAN | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

HALF A PIE PAN

Last post Nov 27, 2011 10:48 AM by cast_iron_king . 6 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
  • HALF A PIE PAN
    I haven't seen one in years, but I know they did exist. It would sure be nice for just the two of us. Seems we never eat a whole pie.
    False
  • RE: HALF A PIE PAN
    Mom used to make a 1/2 pie in a regular pie pan. Just use one crust and fill only 1/2 of it and fold the crust over the fruit. You have 1/2 of a pie.
    False
    Thanks so much. It's not like we NEED pie, but I will give these a try.
    False
    Grelo, what a WONDERFUL idea! Just tonight for dinner I made a meat pie with leftover pot roast and vegetables. I made it in a 9-inch pie pan and DH and I ate exactly half of it. I made the comment that I wish I could have just made half a pie. Well, I'm going to buy 2 of those little cast-iron pans. If I make a fruit pie, I'll make one pie to share. If I'm making a meat pie, I'll make 2 (one for each of us). Now why didn't I think of that!
    JoAnn
    False

You mention getting 2 little cast iron pans. Can you tell me where you found them? Thanks, Kathie

False

I love cooking and getting new recipes and new ideas for family, friends, and gifts. This is a great website and love the newsletters also. I also love machine embroidery and am making quilt throws for each season--one season for each grandchild. They are VERY excited about them!

Check this out.  Clever idea.

Split Decision Pie Pan         Price: $17.95

If dessert time at your house sounds like this, "I want apple pie". "No' let's have pecan pie!" ... we have found the perfect pie pan for you. Why bake one, when you can do two at the same time. This ingenious pan includes two inserts for creating either a traditional full size pie, or two halves. Make two sweet halves at once - think apple and blueberry -- to add variety to your dessert selection, or make one savory and one sweet. "Lift & Serve" feature enables easy removal of the finished pies without wrecking the crusts. This is must for anyone who loves to bake.

http://www.swiss-miss.com/2011/09/split-decision-pie-pan.html

http://www.spoonsisters.com/mm5/graphics/00000002/30227.jpg

But for that price I would just use my "tiny pie pans"  (like 4 1/2" round)  that I already have. Maybe they are called tart pans.

geema

False

Holy Hannah, where in the world did this thread pop up from????

KathieCross,  Lodge makes a pre-seasoned 5" skillet that you can order online.  They should also be available in the housewares section at WalMart.  I have found that if you can't find the cast iron piece you're looking for in the housewares section, you can usually find it in the camping section.

Lodge also has a 3½" skillet!  LOL!  I bet would be perfect for making individual pot pies or tarts!

LINK TO 5" SKILLET

LINK TO 3½" SKILLET

False

I don't often get asked to define irony, but when I do, I always say,

"Why, yes.  Yes, I AM a Field Editor for Taste of Home."