Help!! Freezing Fresh Corn on the Cob | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Help!! Freezing Fresh Corn on the Cob

Last post Aug 23, 2011 5:02 PM by omamcm . 6 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
  • Help!! Freezing Fresh Corn on the Cob

I bought some of the best fresh (she just brought in from the garden!!) corn, and would like to freeze some of it for later. Anything I can find says to blanch prior to freezing. My question is....can I do a partial cook in the microwave?  Do I have to blanch it at all?? 

When I cook my fresh corn, I do it in the microwave for 4 minutes per ear, and it turms out great everytime. This is how I will be cooking it when I serve it.

Thanks for helping............

False
    "Aunt" Mary
  • Re: Help!! Freezing Fresh Corn on the Cob

I assume you are just one person, but here is the best way to freeze fresh corn.  It tastes just like fresh when you eat it and you don't have to blanch the ears.   I will give the recipe and you can just decrease the portions.

4 qts. of corn cut off the cob

1 qt. water

1/2 cup marg.

2/3 cup sugar

2 tsp. salt

Combine all the ingredients in a large pot and bring to a simmer.  Stir occasionally.  Simmer for 5 to 7 minutes; then transfer to a couple of shallow pans to cool.  Stir occasionally to speed up the cooling process and then freeze in desired containers.  

When you want to eat the corn, it is already cooked so all you have to do is heat in the microwave.

Enjoy!!!!

False

Easy Step-by-Step instructions:

http://www.pickyourown.org/freezingcornonthecob.htm

False

siggie budgie-little green Duckling kissing heart  

Colossians 3:17, 23,24

redcow has an excellent recipe.  I've been doing ours that way for years and people always ask for the recipe.  I would never want to freeze whole ears of corn as it takes up too much space in the freezer.  Also might get a 'cobby' taste.

False

Yes, you have to blanch.  Folks I know just take the corn - cooked as usual - and freeze.  You will have to adjust your cooking time for the frozen ears, if thawed before cooking, it won't take as long...if cooked frozen you will have to experiment.

False

I blanch all my veggies in the micro before freezing. It works great! Then I put them in a seal a meal which has alot to do with it.

False

Blanching is absolutely necessary. All but but about 2 fruits and vegetables have an enzyme that is not destroyed by cold. 140 deg. F. heat destroys it.  When you pull back the husk, take your fingernail and push on a kernel. If it squirts "milk" it's good. If it doesn't or the kernels are dimpled,it's old, tough and hard. Corn should be started in a pot of cold water, brought to a boil, boiled for no more than 3 minutes. Longer than that makes it hard and tough. That goes for eating off the cob or freezing. To can corn, you must use a pressure canner. It is a non-acidic food and is subject to the deadly botulism. If you are making corn relish and using sugar and vinegar, water bath canning is OK. I've heard people say they freeze vegetables without blanching and it tastes just like fresh. No it doesn't. I grow sweet corn. When you freeze vegetables without blanching, your food, in fact is it deteriorating. No, you won't get sick, but the qualitity is severely compromised. Tomatoes get tough, corn gets tough and if on the cob, tastes cobby. Then there are some produce that are better not frozen at all. They just don't do well, even if blanched.

Incidentally, the vegetable that I don't blanch is Okra, and it does get compromised, and blueberries. I don't even wash the blueberries. Water makes the skins tough.

False