How do I cook chicken that does not come out dry?? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

How do I cook chicken that does not come out dry??

Last post Aug 02, 2004 4:03 PM by Loosenut_IN . 11 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
  • How do I cook chicken that does not come out dry??
    I have a fabulous recipie for lemon chicken that turns out great every time except for one thing....It is really dry. I have tried cooking it in the pan in the oven in the convection oven and on the grill everytime it comes out tasting great but dry as a bone. Any suggestions?
    False
  • RE: How do I cook chicken that does not come out dry??
    How long do you cook it and what is the heat? I would guess one of those two things would be the problem.
    Sue
    False
    Lemon chicken, is it like a chicken piccata recipe using
    cutlets? Those, being so thin, never need more than 3-4 minutes per side to cook through. Same goes for cooking Chicken Parmesan.
    On the grill, lo heat works best. We pre-heat the grill on HI for 5 mins. Reduce the heat to LO, then cook the meat. Watch out for flare ups, they'll not only burn the meat, but dry it out, too!! Boneless chicken breast on the grill cook in 20-30 mins, depending on the thickness. I flip my meat every 8 mins or so.
    :)
    False
    Let me clarify something....."regular thickness" boneless chicken breasts need 20-30 mins to cook on the grill. Cutlets, on the stove, oven, grill...need only a few minutes to cook.
    Hope this helps!! :)
    False
    I think too, either heat too high or cooked to long.
    Next time you make that recipe use a meat thermometer to check the temp..it probably will be done lots sooner than you are cooking it now.

On the grill the boneless skinless breasts I make finish in about 12 -14 min...I put on med-low heat and flip after 5 min. then again in5 and then watch for being done. To get it right for a while I cut into the breast. Now I can judge it. =)

Perhaps when you are baking too, cover with foil the first part of baking time if it is practical? Keeps more juices in.
    False
    Should have mentioned that when I do a simple breast rolled in bread crumbs on foiled pan in oven at 375 it takes 30 min. uncovered.
    False
    Like everyone else said temperature has alot to do with it BUT!!!!!!!!
    if you are cooking a whole chicken try doing what I do with Turkey--- and everyone says you're not supposed to----cook it with the breast side down---Yikes---yup that's right---breast side DOWN--- the breast sit in their own juices and bast themselves without any help from you. The best every time!!!! all the best with your chicken breast. LOL
    False
    MMMMMMMMMM spa4me cooks chicken on the grill like I do. It comes out perfect everytime. Another thing to remember which is equally important. Learning when to take it off.......I wrap mine in foil after I finish and you must remember it will continue to cook a bit in the foil. That can certainly dry out the meat. But after a few pounds of chicken ya just learn.
    False
    Cook it in a cooking bag in the oven. Then you can run it under the broiler to brown fi you want.
    False
    Case Iron!!
    Great way to cook. Let me know if your intrested in the How To's.
    False
    Marinate in an Acidic juice before doing the Lemon rub.. Over night or 2 days,, and the Temperature is real important.. I dont know your lemon chicken recipe but mine is in a Zip lock bag is the juice of 1 lemon, season salt and pepper,,I cut the chicken breast in half thickness wise. then just before cooking drain the marinate, toss flow in to coat the chicken then I fry the chicken in 2 tablespoons butter, and a teaspoon of olive oil..I make sure my Pan is HOT before putting in the butter,okive oil and chicken, then brown the chicken on both sides (about 8-10 mins)IF I bake the chicken I still marinate over night,sometimes useing Pineapple juice, or orange juice. Useing the 1 gallon Ziploc and pressing the air out as much as posssible makes for quick and easy clean up.
    Loosenut M IN
    False
    OOOPPPPSSS forgot the temperature for frying is over a medium heat.oil should reach a temp of approximately 350º. if bakeing do between 350º and 375º. on a grill I make sure the Grid is HOT to sear theose nice grill lines, and then use medium coals or if useing a gas grill a medium fire, trying to keep the flare-ups to a minumun. When you put the meat in the pan,, make sure it sizzles when put in.
    Loosenut M IN
    False