Pecan Pie runny | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Pecan Pie runny

Last post Nov 19, 2011 9:06 AM by mixer . 3 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
  • Pecan Pie runny

Why are the center of my pecan pies runny?

If I cook them longer than an hour @ 350deg. to get the inside firm, the crust burns (yes, even when I cover the crust edges).

I don't know if I should reduce the liquid ingredients (corn syrup, sugar, butter)?  Or possibly cook it at a lower temperature for a longer time?

Any ideas?

False
  • Re: Pecan Pie runny

You may want to check the temperature of your oven with a reliable oven thermometer. If it is running just a little bit hot, even 25 degrees, it can make a difference in the results of your pie; I have had the same problem in the past. I wouldn't reduce the ingredients if you are using a recipe that you know has turned out fine before. I have, however, had problems with some recipes that just didn't ever turn out the way I wanted them to, and so had to switch to another. But I would still check the oven temp first. Hope you have better luck.

False

Becky

Taste of Home Field Editor

"It's not cooking if you're not making a mess."

My mom's pecan pie recipe (which I've used with great success for lots of years) does include 3 T. flour.  I think this helps the pie firm up.  If you are interested, I'll be happy to post the recipe.

False

bump

False