question about canning meatless spaghetti sauce.... | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

question about canning meatless spaghetti sauce....

Last post Jul 30, 2012 11:17 PM by omamcm . 20 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 12
  • question about canning meatless spaghetti sauce....

I am new to canning and so far I have done it all using a pressure cooker.  I would like to can my own spaghetti sauce and have found a meatless recipe I would like to try , but none of the recipes I have found tell me how to do it in a pressure cooker.  I need to know what pressure to cook it on and for how long.  Can anyone help me? 

I would also like to try salsa, but again can't find out how long and at what pressure.

Thanks in advance!

Chris

False
  • Re: question about canning meatless spaghetti sauce....

Chris:  good luck on your canning.  Not sure if I will have anything to can the way the garden looks.  I haven't canned spaghetti sauce for several years but the one I used, I pressured according to our Extension handout.  It says to pressure meatless spagh. sauce @ 10 lb. pressure - 20 min for pints and 25 min for qt.  I also add the recommended 2 T. lemon juice/qt (or 4 T vinegar/qt.) to each jar before filling it.

Not sure about Salsa, might try this site homefoodpreservatioon.com    Nancy

False

Go to your library and borrow a canning book or:

Go to your County Extension Service,(it is in your phone book)  they will give you copies of the latest recommendations and time tables for canning just about everything   ( from the Department of Agriculture, it's free).

Didn't you get a book when you bought your pressure canner???

False

Thanks for the information.  I'll call our Ag dept tomorrow. 

It's not a pressure canner, it's a pressure cooker...not sure if there is a difference or not, but at any rate it's not mine.  It belongs to my mom and she has had it for years.  Either she no longer has the book or she hasn't been able to find the information in it.  All I know is that she told me she looked through all her books and couldn't find the info. 

False

Grelo you always sound so cranky these days.  Smile!

cfrehm you shouldn't try to can in a pressure cooker.  When you can in a pressure canner it will tell you 15lbs for 10 minutes, or something like that.  You need to be able to know what your pressures are to ensure that your canned food is safe for storage.

Now - if your spaghetti sauce doesn't have any meat in it, you can probably get away with a hot water bath canner. This recipe is for a meatless sauce, canned via the water bath method.

Homemade Canned Spaghetti Sauce

Homemade Canned Spaghetti Sauce
    This savory canned sauce is a tomato-grower's dream come true! Use up your garden bounty and enjoy it later in the year. Tonya Branham, Mt. Olive, AL
    48 ServingsPrep: 1-1/2 hours + simmering Process: 40 min.

Ingredients

• 25 pounds tomatoes
    • 4 large green peppers, seeded
    • 4 large onions, cut into wedges
    • 4 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
    • 1 cup canola oil
    • 2/3 cup sugar
    • 1/4 cup salt
    • 8 garlic cloves, minced
    • 4 teaspoons dried oregano
    • 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
    • 2 teaspoons dried basil
    • 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
    • 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
    • 2 bay leaves
    • 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons bottled lemon juice

Directions

• In a Dutch oven, bring 8 cups water to a boil. Using a slotted spoon,
    • place tomatoes, one at a time, in boiling water for 30-60 seconds.
    • Remove each tomato and immediately plunge in ice water. Peel and
    • quarter tomatoes.
    • In a food processor, cover and process green peppers and onions in
    • batches until finely chopped.
    • In a stockpot, combine the tomatoes, green pepper mixture, tomato
    • paste, oil, sugar, salt, garlic, oregano, parsley, basil, pepper
    • flakes, Worcestershire sauce and bay leaves. Bring to a boil. Reduce
    • heat; simmer, uncovered, for 4-5 hours, stirring occasionally.
    • Discard bay leaves.
    • Add lemon juice to nine hot quart jars, 2 tablespoons in each. Ladle
    • hot mixture into jars, leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Remove air
    • bubbles; wipe rims and adjust lids. Process for 40 minutes in a
    • boiling-water canner. Yield: 9 quarts.
    Nutrition Facts: 3/4 cup equals 118 calories, 5 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 614 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 3 g protein.Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.
    True

Online Community / Field Editor Manager

Feel free to reach out to me anytime!

PM me here, find me on Facebook or email me sue.stetzel@RD.com

Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2009.Big Smile

Chris:  If by chance your pressure cooker is a Mirro-Matic 8 qt. Pressure Pan and Canner 398M it will do 4 qt jars or 7 pint jars (do you have a bottom rack and I assume the control or as I call it the "jiggler").  I have had it since around 1957.  I have the book (96 pages) so I can copy you out some of the information.  It is about 6 3/4 inches tall (without lid) and inside diameter about 10 inches. Let me know. 

I do not see a salsa recipe but do see tomatoes (probably the same time and pressure).

False

Grelo you have a PM from me.

True

Chris,  If you go to homefoodpreservation.com, the USDA site then click on publications.  when USDA publications come up scroll down to Guide ..03 and it should answer your questions about canning spaghetti sauce and other tomato sauces.  Hope this helps.    Nancy

False

cfrehm
    It's not a pressure canner, it's a pressure cooker...not sure if there is a difference or not

These older cookers can be seriously dangerous too - you should be sure to check the gaskets and seals to make sure things aren't dried out.  I know there are replacement kits available for many models.

Call your local extension office and see if they have anyone there that can help so you're sure to do what you want safely.

True

Thank you, Thank you for your help!  I will give them a call and I think that I may try to finish out this season and then invest in a canner of my own instead of using her pressure cooker.  I do think, though, that she has bought new gaskets for both her cookers cause they look brand new and she said something about her old gasket verses her new one. 

False

Thank you for your help!!  I'll check that site and I think I am going to try to find some canning books this weekend when I go into town.

False

This one sounds really good...thanks for sharing!

False

Mom has two that I am using.  Both are Mirro's and both have the bottom rack and the jiggler.  One is a 4 QT and has 234m on the bottom and also M-0594.  We haven't done anything yet in quarts, but we can get 4 pints in that one.  The other one is larger, 12 QT, and has 284H on the bottom...it also has M-0512-11 on it, we get 9 pints in that one.  It is about 6 1/2 inches tall without the lid and is about 12 inches inside.  

Thank you for your help.  Is there a way to send a private message on this site...brand new here.  If so I can send you my email.

False

Thanks, Nancy!!

False

This cranky old women was nlt going to say anything but despite of my promise to myself I want to add:

The "jigglers" have different weights, some are for 5 lbs of pressure, some for 10 lbd and some for 15 lbs. Ig Depending on what you are canning you have ti use different jigglers. Meat takes more pressure than delicate veggies.

Susan is right, you should not use a small pressure cooker for canning, they are not mad for it. If you are going to invest in a new pressure canner (they can also be used as large pressure cookers) I would get one with a visual pressure gauge and a jiggler.

I have found it hard to can on an electric stove because it is not easy to have a burner with constant temperature, at least it was hard on older stoves.  When the burner reached a certain temp it shut off to come back on after 30-60 seconds, just long enough to make the pressure fall enough to have to turn the burner up to a bit higher temp. I found it much easier to can on a gas stove. If I had an electric range and had that problem with varying temps I would invest in a small cast iron, one burner gas "stove" and a 5 gal bottle of propane with regulators, even if I had to set it up in the garage or on a closed in porch, but maybe electric ranges have changed since I had to cook on one many years ago

If money is no object when you buy a canner you might as well invest in the best: an American made "All American". They do not need a gasket because they are machined so well no gaskets are necessary. Not to mention that they are MUCH heavier than any other canners on the market and really do last a life-time if not longer. Look on ebay, that way you can get idea about prices for new a/o used. They come in sizes from 12 quarts (they hold 7 quart jars or 7 pint jars)  to what I call "double-deckers" that can take two layers of 7 quart jars in each layer. (Big monsters and very heavy). I have a 12 qrt All American  and also a 12 qrt Presto. Both Mirro and Presto have been made in China for the last 15-20 years. I also have a 5 liter "Fissler" pressure cooker made in Germany, purchased 8 years ago, it is made of very heavy stainless steel but is strictly for pressure cooking, not canning.

Yes, do go to your County Extension Service, they have great Dept. of Agriculture time tables for canning just about everything under the sun and good recipes too.

Almost forgot to mention: when canning very acidic food like tomato sauce there is no need to add vinegar or lemon juice. Those are added to low acid foods like green beans, pears and such although I have never added anything to any of my canned produce and when done in a pressure canner at the correct pressure and  for the correct length of time the food has kept just fine but that is up to the individual who is doing the canning.

Good luck to you in your new adventure of food preservation, it's a great way to save money and stock up food for the winter.Hope you stick around and let us know how you are progressing.

False