Freezing Potatoes | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Freezing Potatoes

Last post Aug 24, 2012 12:59 PM by JudyLB . 5 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
  • Freezing Potatoes

Does anyone have information on how to freeze homemade french fries?  We just bought 50 lbs and there are only two of us.  I know we won't be able to use them all.  We will share with our daughters but would like to freeze some in I won't ruin them trying.  Can potatoe soup be frozen?  If you have any knowledge, ideas or help I would appreciate your sharing.  Someone out there always has an answer.  Thank you.

JudyLG

False
  • Re: Freezing Potatoes
    FRENCH FRIES TO FREEZE  

Peel and cut potatoes in French fires. Drop in boiling water for 2 minutes. Rinse in cool water to cool. Drain and dry well in paper towel. Freeze. To fry, leave frozen and drop in hot oil

freezer bags are the way to go. Depending on how many people you have in your family, you need to choose the right size bag. In our house, it's just my husband and myself so the quart freezer bags work great.
    Pour soup into the bag till almost full. Start to seal the bag and when it almost sealed, push the top down a little bit so all the air comes out and the soup is ALMOST leaking out, then seal it up the rest of the way. This gives it an opportunity to expand while freezing but with no air, you risk no freezer burn.
    To thaw, throw it in the fridge the night before you want to eat it. The dinner time, it will be completely thawed and just heat it up!

False
    In loving memory of Suzy

I learned long ago from a mennonite women who freezes potatoes, that you have to cook them so long, then slice them, or grate them and freeze them. Or they will turn black.

I will not freeze potato soup nor potatoes in vegetable soup. The potatoes seem to turn and make the soup bad when you want to reheat it. JMO!

False

To freeze french fries, fry them about half way..Cool and lay them on a cookie sheet and freeze...Then, put them in freezer bags...

I do not like potatoes, in soups, that have been frozen...They turn mealy...

I have frozen mashed potates, too...Just fix them as usual and freeze in a foil lined pan..When frozen take out of pan and put in freeze bag...When they thaw out, there will be a lot of water on them...Leave that and heat in the microwave...

False

Thank you for your information and help.

Judy

False

Thank you for your your help.

Judy

False