Jam won't gel. | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Jam won't gel.

Last post Sep 28, 2012 11:07 AM by FairJudge . 2 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
  • Jam won't gel.

I have seen the directions on how to get jam to jell if it doesn't work the first time and have used it in the past.   I have a different twist to add to the subject. I made plum jam following my directions exactly. I prepared and filled the jars and processed in a boiling water bath as directed.  There was a small amount of jam left that wasn't enough to fill a jar so I placed that in a smaller jar and put it in the fridge. Here's the strange part.  The jam I put in the fridge set up beautifully.  The stuff I processed is still a bit runny.  Is that time in the heat causing it not to be able to gel, or what?  Anybody have any ideas?

False
  • Re: Jam won't gel.

I know next to nothing about this....but no one else ahs responded.....

I do remember my mother having problems getting things to gel. She ended up freezing it - and it was just fine. We all loved it!

I hope you find something that works for you!

False
  • Re: Jam won't gel.

Been overwhelmed lately so just now getting on and seeing this.  The cooler conditions of the fridge will hasten jelling, so what happened isn't unusual.  Peach and apricot jam can be notorious for taking a while to set up, so I would think plum might be in the same category, being the same general family of fruit.  Hopefully it's jelled by now or you've decided what to do. 

False