cooking a roast in the crock pot | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

cooking a roast in the crock pot

Last post Oct 09, 2012 10:34 AM by bleclare04 . 9 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
  • cooking a roast in the crock pot

ConfusedI do not cook very much and when i do it is in the crock pot.  I would like to fix a roast in the crock but it never has much flavor when i do.  it also comes out kind of dry.

i was thinking that maybe if i cooked it with the same ingredients but have the roast sliced into thick pieces first that it might have more flavor.  I would like to know what someone who does actual cooking, thinks of that idea.

False
    most of the sayings and quotes that you put on my e-mail have really helped me thru this
  • Re: cooking a roast in the crock pot

Good Morning ~ I don't think that slicing the roast before cooking it will increase the flavor.  A lot depends on the cut of the meat you are cooking - is it a chuck roast?  Pot roast? And, you mentioned using " the same ingredients." What ingredients are you using? 

When I do a roast in the crock pot it is usually a chuck roast, by far the most flavorful for that type of cooking process.  I do not brown it first, as some recipes suggest.  I put the meat in the pot, add 1/2 bottle Heinz Chili Sauce, and 1/2 can of coca cola.  Cook on LOW HEAT for 5 to 6 hours, and you will have the most tender and tasty roast this side of heaven. 

False

♥ Life is a song, sing it. Life is a game, play it. Life is a challenge, meet it. Life is a dream, realize it, Life is a sacrifice, offer it. Life is love, enjoy it. And, life is cooking, eat it. (Sai Baba & Judy)

♥ Judy Batson, Volunteer Field Editor, Taste of Home, 2009 ♥ Contest Winner, Country Woman, 2011♥ Meet me at Cooking for Two.

DIE FOR CROCK POT ROAST

1 beef roast, large enough to fit in your crockpot

1 pkg. Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing Mix

1 pkg. brown gravy mix

1 pkg. Italian dressing mix

1/2 C. warm water

Place roast in crockpot. Mix all three envelopes and

sprinkle on top of roast. Pour water in the bottom of the

crockpot. Cover and cook on low 6 to 7 hours.

Note: Can use half of seasoning packages without

jeopardizing the taste. Also you can add more water at

end for more gravy

False
    In loving memory of Suzy

Those are great tips! I've made many different roasts in the crock pot for over 20 years, and you always find new recipes. I did find out though, that if you have a meat thermometer and find out just when the roast is done for you, then stop the cooking. It will be much more moist and tender if you don't overcook.

False

Keep Smilin'! A good laugh- for any reason- will do anyone good!

I like to brush my roast with Kitchen Bouquet  on all sides, sprinkle GENEROUSLY with Lawry's Seasoning Salt, additional garlic powder, generous amount of dried onion flakes, black pepper,  and then pour a can of mushroom soup that's been mixed with a half can of water and a touch of Kitchen Bouquet over all.  Gravy is sooooooo flavorful and beautiful color.

One package of dried onion soup mix can be substituted for seasoning salt, onion flakes and Kitchen Bouquet.....just pour it over the top of the roast and add black pepper, garlic powder, and muchroom soup mixture. (I just always have the ingredients in the first paragraph on hand and is much more economical than buying the dried Lipton Onion Soup.)

False

Marilyn

Marilyn, I keep forgetting about Kitchen Bouquet...  and guess what? NO SODIUM.  Thanks for reminding me.

False

♥ Life is a song, sing it. Life is a game, play it. Life is a challenge, meet it. Life is a dream, realize it, Life is a sacrifice, offer it. Life is love, enjoy it. And, life is cooking, eat it. (Sai Baba & Judy)

♥ Judy Batson, Volunteer Field Editor, Taste of Home, 2009 ♥ Contest Winner, Country Woman, 2011♥ Meet me at Cooking for Two.

I don't like to cook in a crockpot but this recipe is awesome and I use it for company & get rave reviews.  So easy!!

PEPSI POT ROAST

1  3 to 4 lb beef roast                                         1 envelope Beefy Onion dry soup mix

1 can cream of mushroom soup                      1 can (12 oz) Pepsi or Coke

Mix soup, dry soup mix & soda.  Pour over roast (no need to brown) in crock pot and cook for 6 to 8 hours.  This makes 'the best' gravy so be sure & make mashed potatos.  Will need to thicken juices in a seperate pan.  I turn the roast a couple times during cooking.  The acid in soda helps to tenderize the meat & it's never dry.

False

I learned this trick 20 years ago when I worked in a nursing home.  I was sharing recipes with an alzheimers resident when she told me she always cooked her roasts in coffee.  I thought she was nuts but the next time I fixed roast, beef or pork, in a crockpot, I made a pot of coffee and poured it on top of the roast along with onions, salt, pepper, garlic and 2 beef boullian cubes.  It was the most tender, flavorful roast I have ever eaten to this day, and everyone who eats it thinks so too.  And you can boil the broth made from coffee, add a little thickener and it makes a gravy that is out of this world!  Absolutely no coffee taste in any of it!

False

how many pounds is your roast and is that a 4 cup or 8 cup coffee maker you use. I want to make a roast on the crock pot for my wife and I to come home to and then have some left over to take to work the next day. Thank you

False

I usually use a 3-3.5 pound rump roast and a 12 cup coffee maker, but you can use an 8 cup and use water to cover the roast.  This makes enough for my family of 4 with enough left over for bbq beef sandwiches the next day for lunch.

False