"scum" that comes out of meat when cooked.... | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

"scum" that comes out of meat when cooked....

Last post Apr 26, 2013 8:33 AM by chefsandymichaels . 11 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
  • "scum" that comes out of meat when cooked....

...could someone tell me what the stuff is that comes out of meat when you bake or fry it? For example if I bake a meat loaf it comes out of the meat, kind of grayish looking..same with chicken breasts and tonight even the salmon that I cooked in a frying pan. Somehow you never see this when you watch cooking shows on TV. Is there a way to prevent this? Its not alway easy to get it all off and actually I think its kind of un-appetizing looking. How do you deal with this stuff??   Or am I doing something wrong?

False
  • Re: "scum" that comes out of meat when cooked....
    Do you think it is fat, drain some off let it cool and see. Are you adding oil to fry with?
    False

That's just fat, cheryl.   You don't notice it on grills or griddles because the fat drips off, away from the food.  But when you fry or bake in a flat pan or dish, it has nowhere to go, and just kind of collects in a slimy mass at the edges of the meat.  Fortunately, in my house there is someone who loves the stuff, even if I can't stand to watch him eat it!  LOL!

The easiest way to deal with it is to buy lower fat meats.  But then you sacrifice flavor.

Try getting yourself a grill pan, with raised ridges.  These give the fat a place to go, away from the meat.  Lodge makes some nice ones.

False

I don't often get asked to define irony, but when I do, I always say,

"Why, yes.  Yes, I AM a Field Editor for Taste of Home."

It is fat mixed with the bloods of the meat.   Cooks who understand what that is, utilize it in the making of gravies and sauces.  It is not "scum," but the natural juices of the meats you are cooking, and actually contain the most flavor.  Stir it in, mix it in, and don't waste it.

False

♥ Life is a song, sing it. Life is a game, play it. Life is a challenge, meet it. Life is a dream, realize it, Life is a sacrifice, offer it. Life is love, enjoy it. And, life is cooking, eat it. (Sai Baba & Judy)

♥ Judy Batson, Volunteer Field Editor, Taste of Home, 2009 ♥ Contest Winner, Country Woman, 2011♥ Meet me at Cooking for Two.

Amen! There is something to be said for us more mature and experienced in the culinary arts. On another note, I nearly had a heart attack when I saw a new bride throw away a block of expensive cheese because it had a little spot of mold on it. I told her that wrapping it in a clean cloth or strong paper towel that has been moistened with vinegar would keep the cheese from molding. Otherwise, just cut it off and throw the mold away.

False

Well, thank you soooo much, a neighbor I was speaking with thought it might be the blood and other "body fluids" or "lymph"...whatever it is, you have to admit it is kind of unappealing....and again, you never seem to see it on cooking demo's on TV. I typically try to scrape it off.....I never thought of mixing it in , in fact, my cat used to wait by the stove knowing a "treat" was coming up!!! 

False

Cheryl, you are to be commended for asking. That's one of those subjects that some would never feel brave enough to ask. I, for one, am always eager to help anyone. There's a German saying, fragen ist frei, which means asking is free. Scripture also command the old to teach the young.

False

I'm sorry Cheryl. I made the assumption that you were looking to remove something unappetizing and unhealthy from your cooking.  It didn't occur to me that this was a question about gravy and the Gutenberg.  I'll be more precise in my responses from now on.

False

Cheryl,

I think it is great you asked the question too.

While I might have known now, I still had to learn it from someone before in my life too.  Time goes too fast and there are a lot of times I wish I had my beautiful mother to ask.

One thing I have learned (but it sure took me a long time) is that right when you "hate to ask" because you are afraid it will sound wrong....there are 100's of others around you that are super glad you asked so they know too. (they just won't tell)

kathy

False

Taste of Home Field Editor since 2005

You could also roast your meats on a rack, the fat will drip into the pan (which can then be made into gravy)

I thought it looked gross too the first time I started cooking for myself.

False

Yes

False

Wow, I never knew "scum" would be quite useful too.  I mean, I used to remove it everytime I cook and just throw it away.  But I'll try to save it now.  Thanks for the info.

False

Either I Google or I use MySearchResults