ALLSPICE REMEDY | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

ALLSPICE REMEDY

Last post Sep 02, 2013 7:59 PM by lvarner . 9 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
  • ALLSPICE REMEDY

Did you know that if you have a tomato based sauce that is too sweet for your liking that allspice will cut that sweetness down to a more mellow flavor?  There is no one amount to add, as it depends on the amount of sauce you are preparing, so start with 1/2 teaspoon.. I usually use 1 teaspoon for a sauce that would serve four. 

False

♥ Life is a song, sing it. Life is a game, play it. Life is a challenge, meet it. Life is a dream, realize it, Life is a sacrifice, offer it. Life is love, enjoy it. And, life is cooking, eat it. (Sai Baba & Judy)

♥ Judy Batson, Volunteer Field Editor, Taste of Home, 2009 ♥ Contest Winner, Country Woman, 2011♥ Meet me at Cooking for Two.

• Re: ALLSPICE REMEDY

In a hundred years,  I would have never thought that would help.  Thank you.

False

Time is too slow for those who wait, too swift for those who fear, too long for those who grieve, too short for those who rejoice, but for those who love...Time is ETERNITY.

Mary, you are right.. it seems an unlikely remedy. But, when I visited Jamaica, where a lot of Allspice is grown, the chef in one of the better restaurants held an impromptu cooking class using native foods, and that one of the things that he stressed, and by golly, it works.

False

♥ Life is a song, sing it. Life is a game, play it. Life is a challenge, meet it. Life is a dream, realize it, Life is a sacrifice, offer it. Life is love, enjoy it. And, life is cooking, eat it. (Sai Baba & Judy)

♥ Judy Batson, Volunteer Field Editor, Taste of Home, 2009 ♥ Contest Winner, Country Woman, 2011♥ Meet me at Cooking for Two.

great tip will try it soonSmile

thanks

False

Great tip! Thanks for sharing!

False

Are you referring to a sauce someone makes that has sugar added to that you wouldn't add sugar to?  Such as spaghetti sauce, some in my family put so much sugar in their sauce that  just can't eat it.  I'm a little limited as to what I can cook here anymore and they often bring me food...and I hate to complain or criticize but it has so much sugar in it that it is shiny!  When I make my sauce, I add grated carrots to balance the acid - and I add instant coffee - an old Italian told me how to make authentic sauce. You know how it is - nobody makes spaghetti sauce as good as your own! Big Smile  (Or are you referring to a sauce that is suppose to be sweet?)

False

Franzia, I am referring to any tomato based recipe that ends up being too sweet.. the last minute rescue is to add allspice.  Many canned tomato products are too sweet.  If you are making a brand new recipe and it ends up being too sweet, add the allspice.  I agree that one's own recipe for sauces are the best, but we don't always use our own sauces, do we?

False

I'll be darned !  You learn something new every day !  I don't care for "sweet" tomato sauces....uggh....so I generally leave out the sugar to begin with, but in the future I'll try to remember this hint.  All I remember from Jamaica was seeing the "curvature of the earth" which was VERY impressive.  Thanks, Beema. Smile

False

Marilyn

Thanks for the awesome tip! This would be perfect for tomato based chili as well!

Andrea

False

Years ago, I worked with a cook who frequently added cinnamon to tomato-based sauced as well as ground meat-based dishes (e.g., meatloaf, meatballs). I really loved this addition and began adding it myself to these types of dishes....and I continue to do so to this day. 

False