Cross rib roast | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Cross rib roast

Last post Oct 03, 2002 11:10 PM by GrandmaDD . 4 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
  • Cross rib roast
    Hi, my name is Grandma DD. I got a beef from the local butcher and received two cross rib roasts. Any ideas for preparation of this piece would be appreciated. Thanks DD.
    False
  • RE: Cross rib roast

I hate to sound dumn but was is a Cross Rib Roast.

May God Bless

spud
    False
    Spudneck:
    I don't know what the roast is. It came home from the butcher labeled Cross Rib Roast. I've never had one before and wondered how best to fix it. Thought maybe somebody else may have had one to work with. It's a round piece about 6 inches across and 7 inches long. It is wrapped in a mesh bag. I'm assuming I leave the mesh bag on it to cook, but am not sure whether to just bake it, or simmer it or what.
    Hope somebody knows more than I do.
    Grandma DD
    False
    Hi Grandma DD: I am thinking that if this is labelled a cross rib roast and it is boneless (and apparently held together by a mesh bag) that it may well be a boneless 'prime rib.' So what I'm trying to say is it's probably a really great piece of meat!

Can you call up the butcher and ask him/her what it is? You don't have any need to feel stupid--it's probably a cut of meat you're quite familiar with, just labelled differently. I tried to look it up in my cookbook, but didn't find it.

Let us know when you find out!
    False
    Thanks Patty,
    I talked with the butcher's late this afternoon. They said the cross rib roast was to be cooked in the oven and could also be cooked in a crockpot.
    They also said that had I purchased it separately as a roast, rather than purchasing the entire beef - it would have cost about $15.00 per pound. I was shocked since the entire beef on the hoof was only .68 cents per pound, plus the .30 cent per pound processing fee.
    They never did say prime rib roast, but I believe that is what it is. Will let you know later how good it actually is.Thanks again.
    GrandmaDD
    False