My fish tastes like ammonia! | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

My fish tastes like ammonia!

Last post Sep 13, 2006 12:34 PM by santana_da_yooper_ . 19 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 12
  • My fish tastes like ammonia!
    I have no idea what I did to it. I just bought some rock fish is supposed to be like red snapper the other day, froze it till latter and decided to go ahead and cook it up for my breakfast this morning. it smelled good cooking but when I took a few bites I noticed it had a strange taste but not bad, took another bite and yikes couldnt take it, realized it tasted like ammonia. All I did was lightly seasoned it with salt, pepper lemon juice and placed some raw onion around it and baked it. Needless to say there went my breakfast. Am eating just toast with cinnamon and sugar on it instead.
    False
  • RE: My fish tastes like ammonia!
    Could the fish place have maybe cleaned with ammonia and not rinsed well enough?
    False
    License
    I would be afraid to have eaten it also. Sounds like maybe where you bought it might have spilled something on it.
    False

Peanut I dont know. I know I have been cleaning here but havent been using ammonia, though I sometimes do, I dont have any around right now, so I know it wasnt me. I dont know about the place where it was cleaned and cut up at. I did rinse the fish before cooking it as I normally do all meats. is strange.
    False
    Hi Idaho some ocean fish has a high iodine content depending on when and where the fish was caught and time of year.
    youpick nocal. on the coast
    False
    Do not eat it! And call the meat market where you bought it and let them know.
    False

Some days, I can literally see the testosterone floating in the air around here. 

When seafood goes bad it doesn't get a stronger "fishy" smell, it smells like ammonia. Take it back or throw it out but don't eat it.
    False
    I threw it out, I wasnt sure if it was the way I fixed it the seasonings or what but I suppose by the way responses are it was either going bad or was on fresh cleaned surface that picked up the solution maybe. I guess I should call the store and let them know. Thanks everyone, gosh is a flavor I wont soon forget!
    False
    I just show a tv show talking about this. Be glad you tossed it.Nothing is worth food poisoning.
    False
    Take it back to the store where you bought it. Yuck.
    False
    I would take it back, cooked ,to the fish market and ask them to taste it. They may have had others returned.
    False
    Some stores will dip fish into ammonia when the fish has expired to get rid of the smell so they can sell it.
    False
    Some markets use a mild solution of ammonia and some use bleach to "freshen" up old fish. A disgusting practice to say the least and I would think it's also illegal. I would be all over that market!!!!!
    False
    Click for Cape Coral, Florida Forecast
    Coryandme commented on what I was going to say...

although it's horrible and gross, many places use bleach or ammonia on their 'old' fish and beef to try to get another day or 2 of selling out of them.....

I suspect you might have bought 'washed' fish.
    False
    Oh my gosh coryandme, Yikes that is a scary thought, never ever would have thought that would happen or they could do that. I will call the store and let them know. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
    False