Frozen homemade apple pie ? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Frozen homemade apple pie ?

Last post Sep 22, 2004 3:30 PM by luv2can . 9 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
  • Frozen homemade apple pie ?
    This past Saturday my Mom and I peeled lots of apples and we weren't sure how many pies we would get but figured maybe 6.
    Well we ended up with 5.
    She had made enough crusts for six.
    So, we baked 4 and I told her that I knew of many people who froze their pies to bake at a later date.

Does anyone here know.....
    do you thaw the pie before baking (I'm thinking NOT!)
    and how long do you bake them?

Also, I suggested she roll out the pie crust that was left over and leave it on the waxed paper and then fold it up to a quarter of a pie and then put it in the freezer for later use.
    Has anyone ever done this?
    I know they come that way in the store so I figured why not.

Any suggestions would be welcome!
    False
  • RE: Frozen homemade apple pie ?
    I start mine to bake while they are still frozen. I don't really know how long, just till they're done. Helpful, huh?
    False
    I put my frozen apple pies in the oven frozen and bake it longer. I also put the pie in when I turn the oven on so it doesn't break my glass pie pan and this works great.

I freeze pie crust like you ask or I put the pie crust in the pie pan and freeze it that way.
    False

thanks!
    kansascakedecorator, good suggestion to put the glass pie pan in when you turn on the oven. I wouldn't have thought of that until it was too late!
    False
    i just followed the directions on a frozen mrs. smiths apple pie..snuck a peek in the grocery store..they were fine. i used to freeze a dozen pies and i don't remember how much applesauce...nothing like homemade.
    False

i just followed the directions on a frozen mrs. smiths apple pie..snuck a peek in the grocery store..they were fine. i used to freeze a dozen pies and i don't remember how much applesauce...nothing like homemade.
    False

I normaly will line my pie pan with aluminum foil then place the bottom crust, filling and top crust, cover with foil and freeze. Then when frozen I will remove the whole pie from the pie pan wrap well with aluminum foil. This way all my pie pans are not in the freezer, then when I want a pie unwrap removing the aluminum around the pie, place the pie in the pie pan and bake while still frozen.
    False
    Idahobluebird.....also a GREAT idea!!!
    False
    i always made the pies like i would any other time and freeze it, wrap it after it was frozen then when it was time to bake it, just turn the oven on at the temperature and put it in frozen. i did that one year with about a dozen pies. it was wonderful.
    False
    Live in such a way that those who know you but don't know God, will come to know God because they know you. Click for Ankeny, Iowa Forecast[IMG] Photobucket
    Christian Glitter by www.christianglitter.com