How do you correctly pronounce "Challah" bread... | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

How do you correctly pronounce "Challah" bread...

Last post Oct 21, 2004 12:50 PM by TheDivaSharon . 14 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
  • How do you correctly pronounce "Challah" bread...
    have a reading group at school and in it the main charachters make challah bread. I want to make sure I pronounce it correctly with the 3rd graders I am working with. Also, if you have a good tried and true recipe, I would love it. Thanks so much!
    False
  • RE: How do you correctly pronounce
    Challah Bread
    Baking Challah bread Challah is made from a rich dough made with egg and sometimes some added sugar. On Sabbath eve a family will have two plaited loaves of challah on the table. For Shavuot and other festivals it is more traditional to have round loaves.
    Ingredients 1 packet (1/3oz / 7g) easy bake yeast 12 fl oz (330 ml) warm water 4 oz (110 g) sugar 11/2 lbs (700 g) plain white flour.
    4 oz (110 g) oil.
    3 large eggs, beaten.
    1 teaspoon. salt 1 egg to glaze poppy or sesame seeds Sift 1lb of the flour and the salt into a large mixing bowl and mix in the dry yeast. Dissolve the sugar in the water. Add to the flour and yeast, mixing thoroughly. Add the oil and then the eggs mixing both into the dough. Add the remaining flour and knead until the dough is soft and elastic (add extra flour if necessary). Place the dough into a greased bowl and turn so that all sides are greased. Cover with a towel and put aside for about two hours for the dough to double in size (dough will rise at room temperature and this gives a better result). Punch down and knead a few times.
    To make a plaited loaf Divide the dough in half for two large loaves (when there are just two of us, I prefer to divide this amount of dough into six and have six much smaller loaves, four of which I freeze for later weeks). Each piece will be made into a separate loaf. Take one piece and divide into four. Set one of these smaller pieces aside and roll out each of the other three between your hands to make thick ropes. Lay out these onto a floured surface. Join them at one end and make them into a loose plait (braid). Divide the fourth piece into three parts and make a smaller plait in a similar way. Place this plait on top of the larger one, gently pushing it down at either end. Cover the loaves loosely and let them rise at room temperature again for about half an hour. Brush with the egg glaze and then sprinkle with poppy seeds. Bake at 170 °C (350 °F, gas mark 4) for 30 to 35 minutes.
    False
    Pronounced "Hol-lah".
    False
    Thank you! I know there are so many people here that are jewish that I just knew someone would be able to help me out! I just didn't want to speak incorrectly and have these little 8 and 9 year olds pronouncing this word wrong for the rest of their lives. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
    False
    It is pronounced with the CH made in the back of the throat, like starting to spit, with the rest of it A-la.

Ch(back of throat)a-la. Accent is on the first syllable.

Sorry Lin! Not sure where you got that pronunciation! LOL
    False
    Well, I am not jewish and I could never make that gutteral "ch" sound, not matter how hard I try. Have always pronounced it "hol-lah" - maybe it's the catholic way to pronounce it. LOL :)
    False
    Lin, next time I see you, I will show you...LOL It's not a Jewish thing! I'm sure you can hack up some spit in the back of your throat, or did you ever get a popcorn hull caught in your throat? That would be the sound!

Also, Spanish and Russian has that sound.

Hey, can you "yechhhhh"!, like when something is gross? Bet ya can! LOL

Also, I wasn't sure about your pronouncing it with an "o" instead of an "a" . It rhymes with "Allah"!
    False
    Also if you go to wordsmyth.com, it can be pronounced:

"kha le"

or

"ha le"
    False
    Yes, rhymes with allah.

The next time I get a piece of popcorn stuck in my throat, i will practice saying "challah" - LOL!!!!!

False
    I guess I'm just going by the fact that it's a Hebrew word and I read, write and speak Hebrew!

It's spelled with the letters "chet", "lamed" "hey", which spells "Challah"!
    False
    You can call me up and I'll hack at you over the phone, if that would help! LOL
    False
    Thank you both for this! I have to purchase some bread for the children and want to make sure that I teach them to pronounce this correctly. For a southern girl this a little hard! I'll kindly return the favor next time y'all need a translation or a recipe on grits and red eye gravy (not sure I even know how to make that!) LOL! Thanks again!
    False
    Oh dear, Momof3, now ya got me all worried about a whole new generation of little people going around with the mistaken idea that you can't say this sound unless you're Jewish! Argh!

Have you ever heard a Spanish-speaking person with a very heavy accent say "help"? They invariably make the "ccchhhh" sound.

I swear, if you email me (bellavocediva@yahoo.com) I will call you and demonstrate! LOL

False
    Let's see. It's not a really gutteral sound like your throat was full of phlegm. It's more like trying to pronounce a K and an H at the same time.

Khah-Lah.

I recommend Challah for first-time bread makers, because it's easy to get a good result. The emulsifiers in the eggs help prevent the bread from either having huge bubbles, or turning out to dry and crumbly.
    False
    I think if you tell them it's like a K and H, they'll make the mistake of just pronouncing it with the "K" sound and not understand the scraping sound. Not too far back.

The "KH" sound is softer, like the Arabic equivalent.

There is no good way to convey this except by phone or in person!
    False