How far in advance can you make a tossed salad... | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

How far in advance can you make a tossed salad...

Last post Dec 20, 2004 8:58 AM by _FOOTSIE . 4 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
  • How far in advance can you make a tossed salad...
    ...w/o the dressing?

I always wait until were just about to sit down to the table in order to make my salad. But this weekend when I had company dinner got delayed because my menu included so many last-minute items. Next time I'm going to be doing things a lot differently.

Our salad this time included Amercian Salad Mix (w/ iceberg lettuce, carrots & I think cabbage in the mix), sliced cucumber and grape tomatoes (although I've always used sliced tomatoes in the past).

I'll admit I'm not all that experienced in the kitchen. I want the salad to taste fresh and to not be "wet" from the other ingredients. So how far in advance could I make it up and still have good results? (I will be adding the dressing at the last minute OR everyone will add their own.)

Thanks for your help (& I apologize if to some of you this is nothing more than a silly question).
    False
  • RE: How far in advance can you make a tossed salad...
    What I would do is get everything ready and bag it in their own zip lock bags, you could do that a day in advance. I would wait until about 1 hour prior for the tomatoes as they always seem to weep. I have found by using Roma Tomatoes they stay on the drier side. Also another thought if you want to cut the tomatoe earlier. If you scoop out the seeds and clear gooey stuff they will stay drier. You could cut and bag them also! Hope this helps.
    False
    I wash & dry my greens in the morning, wrap in paper towel & put into plastic baggie & chill. Wash, peel & slice cucumber & put into baggie& chill. Wash & dry tomatoes, cover & leave at room temp. Right before dinner, slice tomatoes & assemble & serve salad. Cali
    False
    What an appropriate question! I got up early as usual (it's not even 3 a.m. where I live) so I could put together a salad for a potluck at work at noon. In fact, I am going to start on making the dressing in a few minutes.

I am making that delicious spinach-strawberry salad that Twinkle30 posted in Recipes earlier this year. I am going to make the salad dressing and take it to work (I start my work day at 5 a.m.) in a jar. Then I am going to wash and slice the strawberries and put them in a Rubbermaid bowl. Am also going to do the same with a couple of Kiwi fruits, since I like to add them to the salad. Also, I bought a couple cans of Mandarin oranges that I am going to take in to work. I often add Mandarin oranges to this salad. Then, of course, four bags of pre-washed baby spinach leaves. The potluck is at noon today. I work in a lab, so I thought around 11:30 or so I would simply mix all this together in a big stainless bowl that I am taking in. Then put the salad into a nice clear-glass bowl and I should be good to go; just a matter of taking it to the main office building. BTW, this is a simply delicious recipe and I get compliments on it whenever I make it. Thanks again, Twinkle30 for posting it.
    False
    I buy the bags from the grocery store, open them just as i'm getting everything put on the table. I don't put dressing on it, i let everyone select their own flavor. no muss. no fuss.
    False