PINK EYE VS. COLD IN THE EYES | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

PINK EYE VS. COLD IN THE EYES

Last post Jan 21, 2005 5:16 PM by Guider . 10 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
  • PINK EYE VS. COLD IN THE EYES
    How can I tell if I have pink eye? My son had it last week (Thursday and Friday).

I have a cold this week; symptoms began Tuesday and really kicked in Wednesday and Thursday. My left eye has been feeling tired and I have had a lot of matter. This morning (Fri. 2:00 a.m.) I woke up with my left eye pasted shut plus my throat is more scratchy.

It has been a tough week at work and I have gone everyday so far. I am wondering about today.
    False
  • RE: PINK EYE VS. COLD IN THE EYES
    A cold usually produces a discharge in both eyes. Pinkeye is usually in one eye, accompanied by itching or pain, swelling, and return of the discharge within minutes of wiping it away.
    False
    And there's two kinds of pink-eye, conjunctivitus, viral and bacterial.

The most common, viral, is the one we've probably all had and it can go away on it's own, although it's very contagious.

The 2nd form, bacterial, is far more aggressive, painful and needs to be treated with meds.

I finally had to go to the opthamologist to gets some stronger ointment to take care of mine. And by the way, it did spread to the other eye as well.
    False

DO NOT REGRET GROWING OLDER.

IT'S A PRIVILEGE DENIED TO MANY.

Thank you for the replies!

It always helps to "talk" to someone.

Your information was very helpful. I can't determine what I have since I have symptoms of both a cold and pinkeye. However, I have more symptoms in the left eye and I can't seem to get it cleaned. I plan on calling the doctor as soon as the office opens and I am not going to work.

I am going to try to go to back to bed since it is hard for me to do anything. All I am doing is wipe and then go wash my hands!! It may be a long day.

Looking ahead - how do I rid my house of this germ? My poor husband is a major worry wart and I am sure that he will worry himself into getting this since the kid and I both have had.
    False
    Barbie,
    If your son had it, it is likely that you could also have pink eye. It usually gets better quickly with meds, but it is very contagious. If you have a cold, you are wiping your nose and touching your face more. It is SOOO easy to pass those germs around. You may need meds. Tell your husband to wash his hands ALOT to try to avoid it.
    I hopeyou are feelign better real soon!!!
    Kathycooks
    False
    Also, tell DH not to use your towels, washcloths, pillow, even your side of the bed. Wash those sheets. And wash wash wash the hands. If he empties the trash, he should be sure to wash hands. They may have touched your kleenexs
    False
    License
    "Pink Eye", "a cold in the eye", and conjunctivitis are basically all the same thing. As someone stated, an infection of your conjuntiva can be caused by either a virus or bacteria.

It's not really possible for you to determine which is the problem, so a trip to the opthalmologist is in order, because left untreated, some forms of conjunctivitis CAN become serious enough to rob you of your eyesight. And the thing is, once you get the appropriate prescription med, it clears up very quickly.

Do be really careful not to spread it to anyone else. Conjunctivitis is extremely contagious (again, that has already been mentioned, but bears repeating).

Now, here's the thing--there are other serious eye problems that can initially appear to be conjunctivitis. You wouldn't want to play around with one of those, either. Best to let a dr. diagnose and treat any eye problem.

Hope you feel better soon.
    False
    You might find some relief from pink eye by soaking your eyes with warm but not hot, chamomile tea. This will work in the early stages of pink eye and it also cures stys. You can use the tea cold as well. When I've had occasion to use it, I'll usually make 3 strong small cups of it a day and then bathe my eyes as often as possible. The relief is pretty instant and I've always been able to cure it. You need just plain organically grown chamomile. 1 teabag per cup is good. I also will put the teabag on my eyes and lie back for 5 minutes at a time.
    False
    You should definately see a doctor. It sounds like pink eye but I'm concerned that your throat is sore; Two years ago I brought my daughter to the doctor thinking she had pink eye. It turned out she had strep which had gone to the eye! Either way you're going to need antibiotic drops or pills. Feel better!
    False
    Did I see that there is an over the counter for the Pink eye now? But then, how do you know if you have it?

Be careful. Kelly Rippa was talking about her baby having a really bad case of it, and his eye was all swollen and yucky. The Dr. said it was a really, really nasty case of it.
    False

catmint

Sounds like pink eye to me - we just recently went through that here too. If it's crusty in the morning, it's likely it. Also, it itches like crazy but I've never had itchy eyes with a cold....
    False