OT: Does anyone remember Waylon and Madam? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

OT: Does anyone remember Waylon and Madam?

Last post Jan 28, 2005 4:41 PM by Coryandme . 15 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 12
  • OT: Does anyone remember Waylon and Madam?
    Wracking my brain to remember what TV show featured Waylon and his puppet Madam. Ised to work with a lady who looked just like Madam! Can you help?
    False
  • RE: OT: Does anyone remember Waylon and Madam?
    i remember the puppets, but not what show. . .let me check when i get home. . .my sis may know. . .
    False
    I'm thinking Star Search
    False
    i remember them too..but not the show. i know it wasn't ed sullivan!lol
    False

Hollywood squares?
    False
    Yes, Hollywood Squares
    False
    Madam did a special years and years ago on HBO when we first got cable in the 70's and she was funny. I was old enough that my parents let me watch it. I never laughed so hard. SOme of the things you had to read between the lines with but it was so funny. It was only on once too. Now it would be nothing compared to the junk that is shown to kids today.
    False
    I thought it was Solid Gold.
    False
    It was a variety show that was very short-lived. I believe it was Shields and Yarnell.
    False
    They hosted Solid Gold for awhile. That was my FAVORITE tv show!
    False
    Look what I found.

Where Are They Now Dept.: Waylan Flowers and Madam. Ah, the memories that unfold. The queens of the Las Vegas stage, the regular appearances on the "Tonight Show" and "Solid Gold."

Twenty years ago, these two were one of the great duos of showbiz, on a par with the likes of Donny and Marie, Peaches and Herb, and Shields and Yarnell. Madam is now enjoying a well-deserved retirement in Ft. Lauderdale while Waylan is still active in show business.

He's now working with a much younger, much less sassy puppet. Look for him in the new year as he opens for "Tony Danza On Ice" in Laughlin, Branson, and Reno.

False

DO NOT REGRET GROWING OLDER.

IT'S A PRIVILEGE DENIED TO MANY.

Thanks so much. I knew I could count on you all!
    False
    Howdy.

I don't think Wayland Flowers is still in show business. Several years ago, the AIDS quilt came through my city and I was fairly sure I remembered that Flowers had a square on the quilt.

So I looked him up on Dead or Alive, a Web site that keeps track of celebrity deaths, and found he died of AIDS in 1988 at the age of 48.

Dead or Alive is a really reputable site, so combined with the quilt square, I'm inclined to believe he's no longer with us.
    False

Yes, ElizabethK, I think you are right.

I vaugely remember hearing about his death.

Waylon and Madame were on Hollywood Squares, but they were on a variety show before that, but I can't remember which one.

False
    I also seem to remember they were on a variety show. Don't recall ever watching Shields and Yarnell. Thought maybe the Smother's Brothers, but that didn't seem right. They were a regular act. Didn't watch Hollywood Squares but I did know they were on that. Mostly looking for the Variety Show. One of those things that drives you nuts till you know for sure!
    False