Best way to clean stove-top burners? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Best way to clean stove-top burners?

Last post Feb 13, 2005 11:15 PM by stamp01 . 12 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
  • Best way to clean stove-top burners?
    Does anyone have a better (e.g., easier!) way to clean stove-top burners that have burned-on grime? I always end up using SOS pads (steel-wool) and scrubbing my fingers to the bone. I've tried soaking them first but to little avail. My stove-top burners are gray and everything shows.

I hate steel-wool. It's one of those things that gives me the shivvers (you know, like fingernails on a chalkboard). Even with rubber gloves on. Ewww!

Suggestions, please?!
    False
    "If I have ventured wrongly, very well, life then helps me with its penalty. But if I haven't ventured at all, who helps me then?"
  • RE: Best way to clean stove-top burners?
    I put mine in the sink filled with hot water and a big scoop of Oxyclean and let them soak for awhile. They clean up pretty good that way.
    False
    I always put tin foil around mine to keep them clean. Then I just replace the tin foil from time to time.
    False
    Put them on some newspaper and use Easy-off Fume Free oven cleaner. Wait a couple of hours and they should wipe clean.

My trick is that I never let them sit for long. Every time I cook, I clean them. I only ever needed a scotchbrite pad to get it off.
    False
    I go to Home Depot and get new ones. LOL
    False

The secret of happiness is not in doing what one likes, but in liking what one has to do. ~Barrie

Math is fun!

Click for Soldotna, Alaska Forecast

LOL, Alaska_Prof! Can you DO that?! I was told they cost something like $100! (Big heavy burners!) I'm gonna look it up!!!
    False
    "If I have ventured wrongly, very well, life then helps me with its penalty. But if I haven't ventured at all, who helps me then?"
    If you're talking about the liners on your burners, they really are reasonable to buy.
    I clean mine by putting them in a ziplock, stacking you can get them all in one large one, then pour in ammonia (maybe 1/2 c.) seal and let sit all night. Cleans most of it!
    False
    My stove is a GE electric. I thought you were talking about the drip pans under the burners. They are about $10 for the set of 4.
    False

The secret of happiness is not in doing what one likes, but in liking what one has to do. ~Barrie

Math is fun!

I use the Fume Free Oven cleaner, too, like Sharon -- great minds think alike LOL. Except I put them in my sink, spray them down, let them sit for maybe 20 or 30 minute and sponge them off. I do the same thing with my broiler and baking pans when they get something on it that won't come off. My friend has the same stove as I with those big heavy gray grates and drip pans. Mine is a year older and looks like new and hers is just a mess. She has actually brillo'd the finish right off.
    False
    Nope, not the drip pans. This is a gas stove. The burner thingeys, the metal spokey-thingeys that sit on top of the drip pans. They're expensive.

I have drip pans under the front two but the back two are angled just a tad on one side and the drip pans that you can buy just about anywhere don't fit.
    False
    Okay, I understand. I would try the Easy-off.
    False

Math is fun!

Is your oven self-cleaning? If it is, what about putting them in there when you clean it?
    False

Math is fun!

I found a tupperware bowl with a lid that allows the burner grate to sit just a few inches above the bottom. I put the burner upside down in the bowl, add about 1 inch of ammonia and seal it with the lid. I leave it alone for 24 hours or so and then just use a non- stick safe scrubber to wipe off the burnt on mess. It just wipes off. I DON"T let the burner sit in the ammonia. Supposedly the fumes soften the burnt on mess. Good luck!
    False