Found a new kind of flour, High altitude flour! | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Found a new kind of flour, High altitude flour!

Last post Feb 18, 2005 5:59 AM by Callie123 . 7 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
  • Found a new kind of flour, High altitude flour!
    I found it at walmart a few days ago but havent opened it yet. It is made by ConAgra foods. Not sure how to use it so did email them to find out if I still need to make adjustments in my recipes when using it.

Has anyone here used it or know if it. Is called Hungarian High Altitude Flour.
    Hoping to make a cake tomorrow and have it come out with the fine grain and nice texture I am so fond of.

False
  • RE: Found a new kind of flour, High altitude flour!
    eeekkkkk
    didnt realize it is tomorrow already!!!! LOL
    False
    Is there any kind of information on the package? It may be a straight across swap to using regular flour.
    False

Some days, I can literally see the testosterone floating in the air around here. 

Here is a site with some info...Doesn't look like good news.
    :(

They say the name is deceiving and it refers to the fact that the grain was grown in high altitude areas, not that it is meant for high altitude baking.

http://www.sourdoughhome.com/huhialflourtest.html
    False
    I just went to that site. Oh noooooo
    I was so excited hoping.
    I want so so much to bake cakes and have them turn out perfect again. I have tried and tried over and over again with no luck at all. Called and talked with many folks around here and nothing. Everyone says go with the mixes.. I cant bring myself to buy a mix!
    Will try anyways and see what happens.
    Thanks for the info though.
    False
    Mary,
    I hope you have good luck with the flour. I hate giving bad news! The company really should not have a name like that. It almost seems like false advertising to me. Good luck with your baking.
    False
    Jklus, I thought for sure it was milled especially for baking in high altitudes.
    There are no instructions on how to use the flour.
    There is an adress but about all. I decided to do a search on ConAgra and came up with a list of things they make. High altitude flour was one of them so I emailed earlier yesterday. Hope to hear back today.
    I just hope... my cake will come out ok. will let you know.
    Thanks again for trying to help me.

False
    I used to work in a bakery. Professional cake mixes are nothing like grocery store ones--lots of bakeries use them and their customers have no idea.

Why don't you get a few of the real professional mixes and experiment with using them as a base for your recipes--you can do a lot with personalizing them wtih addin's and your own unique touches. Can't hurt to give it a try, right? If you get your bakery going and it's successful enough, you're going to find that you'll be using mixes, even if you make your own. It's not possible for someone to actually make each and every cake from scratch every day--so to keep up with your demand, you're going to have to at least make your own mixes in large quantities to expedite your mixing and baking, you know?
    False