Help!!! What can I substitute for Chili Paste? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Help!!! What can I substitute for Chili Paste?

Last post May 29, 2011 2:58 PM by zakons . 6 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
  • Help!!! What can I substitute for Chili Paste?
    I want to make the sesame chicken I found on this site, but it calls for chili paste and says this ingredient is very important. Can I substitute tomato paste or chili sauce? The recipe said chili paste would be hard to find and they weren't kidding! I have looked in two huge mega grocery stores and zilch!

Please help! Who has made the sesame chicken that calls for chili paste?

Thanks,
    1st Teacher
    False
  • RE: Help!!! What can I substitute for Chili Paste?
    I think that you could use something like cayenne or red pepper.
    I would look in an Asian Market for chili paste, but I think some red pepper or cayenne would give you the same effect.
    Good luck!!
    False
    Would you think chile powder and olive oil would do? Just a guess.
    False
    I think ketchup mixed with chili powder would work. or maybe tomato paste mixed with chili powder. That would be thicker then the ketchup.
    False
    I found the ingredients in one brand of chile paste......
    Ingredients: dried chile 25%, onion 22%, garlic 15%, tamarind juice 15%, sugar 8%, catfish 6%, salt 5%, soy bean oil 4%. No artificial flavor or preservative. Product of Thailand.

from an ad at IMPORTFOOD.COM
    False

• Re: Help!!! What can I substitute for Chili Paste?

Chili Paste = Chili Garlic Sauce in the asian section of the grocery store.

substitutes can be found on ehow food

http://www.ehow.com/facts_7151105_can-substitute-chili-paste_.html 

False
  • Re: Help!!! What can I substitute for Chili Paste?
    chile paste = Asian chile paste = chili paste = chilli paste Notes: This is a blend of hot chile peppers, garlic, oil, and salt that's commonly used in Asian cuisine. Includes: Chinese chile (or chili) paste = Szechuan chile (or chili) paste = Sichuan chile (or chili) paste = chile paste with garlic, Korean chile paste, and Vietnamese chile paste = tuong ot toi Vietnam = prik kaeng, which is hotter than the Chinese chile paste. See also separate entries for these other chile pastes: nam prik pao, chile bean paste, sambal oelek, and sambal bajak. Substitutes: hot sauce OR harissa OR crushed red pepper flakes (to taste; start with 1/4 as much) OR dried red chili peppers
    False