Cleaning Corelle Dinnerware | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Cleaning Corelle Dinnerware

Last post Apr 01, 2005 6:32 AM by Callie123 . 8 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
  • Cleaning Corelle Dinnerware
    Does anyone know how to get the grey marks off Corelle Dinnerware?
    False
  • RE: Cleaning Corelle Dinnerware
    Before using something toxic and abrasive, try scrubbing the plates with a bit of baking soda and a damp sponge or nylon scrubby. Baking soda will usually do the trick--it even removes grape juice and Koolaid from formica. It's cheap, readily available, harmless--to both your family and your cookware.
    False
    I will try the baking soda first. I don't know if I can buy the cleaner in Canada. I will look if soda doesn't work. I have never used metal scrapers on my plates. I'm not sure where the grey marks came from, maybe from forks & knives.Thanks-so-much.
    False
    The marks are due to the nickle content in your stainless steel. Some brands are less prone to mark up dinnerware. Cali
    False
    I second the motion on Barkeeper's Friend, it took off some rusty colored streaks from my Corning Ware. If you can't find it, a Mr. Clean Eraser might work on the grey marks.
    False
    Baking soda is good for lots of things. Just wanted to add a vote for Barkeeper's Friend. It was the only thing that worked on my Corning Ware stains.

I think most people know to rinse after using a cleaner.
    False
    CAn't claim this as my own, as treehuggin told me about it:

go to the correlle website. They have reasons why you get the marks and how to get them off.
    False
    apparently the makers of corelle realize people are smart enough to wash and rinse the dinnerware after using the products they recommend for stain removal. from the corelle website:

What causes the gray lines on my CORELLE?

Although CORELLE has a very hard glass surface, silverware, metal utensils and even exposed metal dishwasher racks can sometimes leave metal marks. These marks can be removed with a non-abrasive cleanser such as Zud®.

Why does my CORELLE have rust or brownish marks?

These can be caused by iron deposits in your water supply or even by exposed metal parts in your dishwasher. Sometimes metal utensils have rusty surfaces too. Try cleansers such as CORNINGWARE Liquid Cleaner, Bar Keepers Friend® or Zud®.

Why do my cups or mugs stain?

Each community has a slightly different make-up to its water supply. Repeated exposure to this water can result in the build-up of residue from mineral deposits. Oils from coffee or tea then adhere to this residue. CORNINGWARE Liquid Cleaner, Bon Ami®, Cascade®, or even scouring with vinegar can help combat these stains.

False

I said nothing at all about people being too stupid to rinse.

I spoke only from my point of view. I prefer to keep as many toxins out of my home as possible. If I can use a natural product that works well, is inexpensive, has many uses, that isn't going to be dangerous to me, my family, my pets, the small children I sometimes entertain--then that's what I use. I was just commenting that there was a safe and effective natural non-toxic product. And btw--I also use vinegar in my dishwasher as a rinse agent. Of course, my dishwasher rinses my dishes--very well, as a matter of fact--but I just like using natural, inexpensive products.

But if you prefer to use things that cost 10-20 times more for your cleaning needs, feel free--it's your choice.
    False