How tall do dahlias get? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

How tall do dahlias get?

Last post May 23, 2005 2:20 PM by Poll_KY_of_the_Purple_Ilk . 9 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
  • How tall do dahlias get?
    I got some free with my double hollyhocks and don't know where to plant them. Do they need full sun?

Help....and TYIA
    False
  • RE: How tall do dahlias get?
    I've some in pots by my steps. They grow about 2ft tall (I'm guessing). Yes, mine gets lots of sun and do well with it. They really are pretty flowers.
    False

thank you sweety. just didn't know where to set them out. not much sun where i was going to plant so will have to change my spot.
    False
    i think thier are two types of dahlia's..the tall and short..i have cute little short dahlia's with big blooms..over on the coast i've seen the very tall dahlia's that i would love to have..haven't seen any in the desert.
    False
    i think thier are two types of dahlia's..the tall and short..i have cute little short dahlia's with big blooms..over on the coast i've seen the very tall dahlia's that i would love to have..haven't seen any in the desert.
    False
    Won't it depend on the exact Dahlia?

We went on walk in the botanical gardens up by Fort Bragg. The scenary with the coastline would be enough to take your breath away but they had individual gardens with differing flowers there too. Among them Dahlias.

I loved the ones that were round orbs & so huge they had to stake them up.

We bought some bulbs later that year & they sprout up each year...love the colors and the differing types!!
    False

DO NOT REGRET GROWING OLDER.

IT'S A PRIVILEGE DENIED TO MANY.

I have dinner plate Dahlias, and they get about 4 foot tall, some a hair bigger. The blooms are huge and I do plant them in full sun. We usually dig the bulbs out every year and then re-plant in early spring. Too cold where we are for them to stay in the ground. There is a smaller variety that usually are sold in deck pots and only get maybe a foot or two high, with blooms about the size of an apple.
    False
    they are called the dinner plate collection if that helps. thank you all
    False
    Bingo if these are the Dinner plate ones the plants will grow to at least 42 inches sometimes 48 and the flowers will be very large and heavy. I grow these big ones in heavy wire frames that I set up. There are many varieties and sizes of dahlias. Grow many some for flower boxes,pots and cutting for arrangements. thanks for the reminder as I was going to start my big ones this week a little late but they will catch up once they are in the ground. PG
    False
    What PG said.
    My Mom's always grew taller than the 4 foot fence they were next to.
    False