Can a person serve Jury Duty if they have had a DWI? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Can a person serve Jury Duty if they have had a DWI?

Last post May 25, 2005 11:02 PM by SunnySmile501_VA . 12 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
  • Can a person serve Jury Duty if they have had a DWI?
    Plus lost there license for over a year?
    I am curious about this as a member of my staff was asked to serve on Jury Duty and went and reported and sat there all day and then was told that they will probably be called back in June. I think if they knew this that she would automatically be dismissed! Seems like such a waste of everones time! Then how do I approach this.... It's a touchy subject? i don't want to cause anyone grief...
    Another person on my staff is not a citizen and was called to serve and just called in and reported that she was not a citizen and she was dismissed.
    Molly
    False
  • RE: Can a person serve Jury Duty if they have had a DWI?
    good question, and I don't know...but most cases these days seem to be drunk driving....and about being called back in June???
    How does that work??? here you report for one day and if not picked you get another notice in about 15 months....
    False

It's not how you start, it's how you end....so end strong!!

Walk yourself strong!!

she would not be able to sit on a DWI case. . .most likely not any kind of traffic accident case. . .otherwise, she'd be eligible to serve. . .
    False
    Call the appropriate office and make a general inquiry about it. I don't know the answer to your question.

louie
    False
    If the DWI was prosecuted as a felony for which she could have served over one year in jail (whether or not she did serve jail time) then she is not eligible for jury duty. Lesser sentences, I'm not certain about.
    False
    I don't see why she couldn't serve on jury duty. If it's a dui case, the attys will probably ask each juror if they've ever had one, and she can answer then. If not, there is no reason she should have to tell it. Jury duty, at least where I live, is pulled from the voting rolls, and even those who have served time in state prisons can vote, so I don't know why someone with a dui and loss of license could not be a juror.
    False
    Dwi would not affect having to report for jury duty. Would affect the odds of being picked to sit on a jury.
    False
    Here they prescreen so all that info is given before they call you to serve.
    False
    I think it depends on the judge. The person can report the record to the judge's office and see if they are excluded from service in that court. My guess would be yes, they would be excused from all jury duty service in the future.
    False
    I know that a local federal judge permanently excuses those who have a deferred adjudication on their record - which is not a conviction.
    False
    I have a DWI from 1985,,,Still have to sit on juries...DANG
    False
    In Missouri, our jury questionnaires ask the question if you have had a felony conviction, which includes DWI's. If a person tells the truth, they are not eligible for jury service.

Also during jury voir dire before the jury is selected, the prospective jurors should be asked if they have had any convictions. Again, if they tell the truth they will be excluded.

If it comes to light later that a juror was actually ineligible to serve, the defendant can file a motion for a new trial which may or may not be granted depending on the judge and the situation in its whole.
    False
    We have one General District Court judge that has had so many DUIs, that he has lost his license for life. He has to be driven to and from court every day and when they take him home, he is dropped off at a local bar. He is the one judge you don't want to get in front of for a DUI! He's of the "Don't do as I do, do as I say" school.
    False